Gary Cahill admits Chelsea will have to be on their best form to shackle Newcastle pair Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse on Saturday evening.
Chelsea outlined their ambition to win the Barclays Premier League by showing glimpses of attacking flair and clinical finishing to see off Reading and Wigan in their opening two games. Eden Hazard has already gone a long way to justifying his £32million price tag by starring in both victories, while Fernando Torres has looked sharp up front.
However, Cahill knows the London club will have to be at their sharpest to nullify the threat of Ba and Cisse at Stamford Bridge. The defender said: "They are two great forwards. They were in great form last season and it looks like they have started that way again. It's going to be tough for us against Newcastle."
Ba opened his account for the season with a clever finish against Tottenham last week and his compatriot Cisse scored 13 goals in 14 matches towards the end of last season.
Chelsea do not need any reminders about how much of a threat Cisse can be.
Last season the 27-year-old silenced the home support at the west London club with two terrific goals to sink Roberto Di Matteo's men.
But Chelsea also appear to have a striker they can rely on this year in Torres.
The £50million man struggled last season, but won the Golden Boot at Euro 2012 and scored Chelsea's third against Reading, albeit from an offside position.
Cahill thinks the Spaniard is benefiting from being allowed to move out of the shadow of Chelsea icon Didier Drogba, who left the club for Shanghai Shenhua this summer.
"Maybe he will relish being the main man this season," Cahill said of Torres. "He has certainly done that at the start of the season, he has been great for us and long may that continue."
- Fernando Torres
- Gary Cahill