Candle left burning blamed for fire which took hold of caravan in Gweek
An unattended candle is being blamed for a caravan fire in Gweek last night.
Firefighters from Helston and Mullion were called to the fire at 3.08am this morning .
When they arrived they found the fire had already started to spread. They used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to put the fire out.
They reported that the fire was believed to have been started by a candle and was accidental.
A report from fire control said: “Appliances from Helston and Mullion responded to this incident.
“On arrival a caravan fire was discovered which had started to spread. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus sets used hose reel jets to extinguish the fire.
The cause of this incident has been classed as accidental and believed to have started by a candle.
College reveals plans to demolish buildings in two phases in £12 million project
The fire service warns that candles are rising cause of fire and has issued a set of guidelines.
“Every year, a growing number of people are killed or injured because they are careless with them.”
By following these guidelines, you can reduce the risks that come with using candles.
Always extinguish candles before you leave a room.
Always use a suitable holder when burning candles. Scented candles turn to liquid; always burn them in a suitable glass or metal container that can withstand the heat of the liquid.
Candles should always be placed out of the reach of children and away from areas where pets can get to them.
Put them on a heat-resistant surface and be especially careful with tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic; TVs are not fire resistant objects.
Extinguish candles before moving them and don’t let anything fall into the hot wax, like matches.