Canelo Alvarez to defend undisputed title against Gennady Golovkin after trilogy fight agreed

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
 (Getty Images)
(Getty Images)

Canelo Alvarez will return to super-middleweight to defend his undisputed status against Gennady Golovkin after the triology fight between the pair was announced.

In his first fight since losing to Dmitry Bivol earlier this month as he stepped up to light-heavyweight, Canelo will return to a familiar division as he puts his WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts on the line against his long-time rival on September 17.

The Mexican has decided against an immediate rematch against Bivol and will instead fight Golovkin, the WBA and IBF middleweight champion who will be moving up a division, for a third time.

Many thought Golovkin won their opening bout in September 2017 only for a draw to be declared while Canelo claimed a narrow points decision 12 months later, with both contests held at middleweight.

“I feel very happy and proud to be able to give the best fights and this fight won’t be an exception,” Canelo said.

The venue for the third fight will be announced “soon” according to promoters Matchroom although Las Vegas is the early favourite, with the city’s T-Mobile Arena staging the first two showdowns.

“The Canelo v GGG trilogy is the biggest fight in boxing and I am delighted to get this made for September 17,” promoter Eddie Hearn said.

“These are two men that bitterly dislike each other and want to end this incredible series with a blistering KO.

“I truly believe this will be the most thrilling fight between these two great champions and it will be fireworks from the first bell to the last man standing.”

The heavy-handed Golovkin (42-1-1), at 40 nine years older than the Mexican, has won all four fights since suffering the only defeat of his professional career against Canelo, who has defeats only to Bivol and Floyd Mayweather on his record.

Golovkin stopped Japan’s Ryota Murata inside nine rounds last month to become unified world middleweight champion again, and after the fight with Canelo was announced he said simply: “I hope to see you on September 17.”

Additional reporting by PA Sport.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting