- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
After suffering just a second defeat to his glistening career earlier this month against Russia's Dmitry Bivol, Canelo has now set his sights on a trilogy fight with rival Gennady Golovkin.
Canelo looked to venture into yet another weight class earlier this month, but unsually for the Mexican, he suffered defeat during a frustrating clash with Bivol, who managed a unanimous points decision after managing to weather Canelo's onslaught. With the 31-year-old now looking to bounce back from defeat, Canelo has snubbed a potential rematch and instead stepped back down to super-middleweight.
In Canelo's first bout against Golovkin back in 2017, the fight was declared a draw despite many believing the Kazakhstani fighter did enough to clinch the victory.
With the controversy fueling a rematch, the pair re-entered the ring 12 months later, and Canelo claimed a narrow points victory.
Estoy muy contento de brindarles las mejores peleas y esta no será la excepción. #CaneloGGG3 este 17 de Septiembre 👊🏻🇲🇽 Sede por confirmar.
I'm really happy to bring you the best fights and this one will be no exception. #CaneloGGG3 this Sep 17th 👊🏻🇲🇽 Venue to be confirmed. pic.twitter.com/ow26TlWrmX
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) May 24, 2022
However, while both of those fights were held at middleweight, Golovkin has accepted to move up to super-middleweight for their third clash on September 17. After announcing the triolgy, Canelo said "I feel very happy and proud to be able to give the best fights and this fight won't be an exception." Promoter Eddie Hearn also chimed in on the announcement, stating that it was "the biggest fight in boxing". "The Canelo v GGG trilogy is the biggest fight in boxing and I am delighted to get this made for September 17," said Hearn. "These are two men that bitterly dislike each other and want to end this incredible series with a blistering KO.
— Matchroom Boxing (@MatchroomBoxing) May 24, 2022
"I truly believe this will be the most thrilling fight between these two great champions and it will be fireworks from the first bell to the last man standing." While the venue for the fight is yet to be confirmed, Las Vegas has already emerged as the most likely destination for two of boxing's biggest stars. Golovkin, who last fought nine months ago to become unified world middleweight champion again, left a simple message to his upcoming opponent: "I hope to see you on September 17."
The article Canelo and Gennady Golovkin trilogy confirmed, fight set for September 17 appeared first on Planetsport.com.