Marco Asensio is “evaluating” his future at Real Madrid and could push for a transfer next week with Manchester United and Arsenal waiting in the wings.
The right winger, who is out of contract next summer, has recently joined Jorge Mendes’s Gestifute agency to drum up some interest in his services. The Spaniard is not happy about his lack of game time at the Bernabeu under Carlo Ancelotti.
He found himself behind Fede Valverde and Rodrygo in the pecking order last season. And this term he has appeared for only seven minutes with Valverde getting the starts in the first two LaLiga games.
That has led Asensio to think carefully about his future and Madrid will be chasing a definitive answer on his future plans early next week.
Ancelotti is aware about the prospect of losing Asensio and he says Real will not bring in a replacement.
“I don’t know anything new. He’s evaluating his position, and we’re waiting,” Ancelotti said in a news conference on Saturday.
“By Sept. 2 everything will be clear. If Asensio stays, he’ll be an important player in our squad… If he wants to go, if there are good options for him and the club, we can look at it. But if he stays, we’ll be delighted. He gave us a lot last year and can give us a lot this year.
Asensio will not be replaced
“We have a squad with a lot of resources. If Marco leaves, we won’t sign anyone, because we don’t need them.”
But with Casemiro already gone and the prospect of Asensio following suit, Dani Ceballos will be staying at the Bernabeu.
“I don’t think he (Ceballos) has any doubts,” Ancelotti said. “He wants to stay and we’re happy. He hasn’t played yet, playing one game a week I haven’t rotated (the team), but after next week we have games every three days and he’ll get more minutes, because he deserves it.”
Mendes is understood to have touted Asensio around Europe and United and Arsenal are two possibilities for the player. In fact The Telegraph claims United were offered the player before they signed Casemiro. And a representative is on standby to talk to Arsenal in London, claims the Daily Mirror.
The departure of Nicolas Pepe has opened up the possibility of a new man arriving at The Emirates. And Mikel Arteta is thought to be chasing another attacking option.
“If we can implement the plan that we have, we will try to do that,” said Arteta. “In the plan, that [Pepe’s loan move] was something that could happen – now it’s a reality and we’ve been preparing the last two months in order to achieve what we want. Whether that’s possible or not, we will see.”
United though are also keen on adding two attacking options of their own.
Of course their priority is to land Antony from Ajax. But the player has made it clear that the Dutch club are blocking his exit route from the club.
If United continue to hit a roadblock regarding Antony then Asenio may well prove to be a good alternative.
Real know this is their last chance to get a significant fee for the player and have put a £23.5m price tag on his shoulders.
READ MORE: Antony transfer: Ajax set new record fee for Man Utd as talks continue and Erik ten Hag sets sights on triple deal before window closes
The article Carlo Ancelotti confirms Real Madrid attacker ‘evaluating’ his position as Man Utd, Arsenal jostle for position appeared first on Teamtalk.com.