Carlos Alcaraz news: Madrid Open winner plays down claims he’s the best player in the world

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Carlos Alcaraz Credit: PA Images
Carlos Alcaraz Credit: PA Images

Carlos Alcaraz has been unstoppable so far this season and this hasn’t gone unnoticed by the tennis world who have quickly hailed him as the next best thing in the sport – but the Spaniard disagrees.

The Miami Open currently taking a much needed break away from the court after he defeated Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Alexander Zverev after winning the tournament in Madrid so he can focus on the upcoming French Open.

Even though Zverev hailed the 19-year-old as the best tennis player in the world, Alcaraz has declined this suggestion and said the current world No 1 is in fact the world’s best player.

“For me the best in the world is the one who is No 1 and is the one who deserves it – now, there is Djokovic. I am six (in the rankings), I have five left to be the best in the world. Djokovic is not considered a great server but for me, he has been the player who has made it the most difficult for me to return his service,” the Next Gen player explained.

“He doesn’t let you read the directions of the serve and that’s what impressed me the most. Apart from the great level that he has from the back of the court, it’s one thing to see him on TV and another to have him in front of you.

“I am a boy who assimilates things well and who is clear about his goal which is to be No 1 in the world, I have not achieved it yet although it is true that these triumphs must be enjoyed. It is good to disconnect and enjoy, but I don’t come up for winning or getting what I’m getting very fast, I am clear that I must continue working to achieve my dream which is to be No 1.”

Many people have likened Alcaraz to fellow Spaniard and 21 time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal, but the new kid on the block doesn’t want to be the 35-year-old’s replacement despite doing the signature Rafa trophy bite in Madrid.

“I didn’t want to bite the trophy but the photographers told me to bite it,” he said.

“They were insisting and even though I didn’t want to, I obeyed them.

“Some people will say it was because of Rafa, but the reason was the photographers.”

Alcaraz isn’t taking part at the Rome Masters but he will be trying to win his first Grand Slam title at the French Open which gets underway from May 22.

The article Carlos Alcaraz news: Madrid Open winner plays down claims he’s the best player in the world appeared first on Tennis365.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting