Carlos Alcaraz urged to be ‘wise about schedule’, told playing in Acapulco ‘could be a dangerous move’
Carlos Alcaraz has been cautioned against playing too many tournaments – especially with his recent injury problems.
After missing the season-ending ATP Finals due to an abdominal injury and the Australian Open because of a hamstring problem, Alcaraz finally made his 2023 bow at the Argentina Open last week and he went all the way as he defeated Cameron Norrie in the Buenos Aires final.
He followed it up with another run to the final of the Rio Open, but this time Norrie turned the tables at the British No 1 defeated him in three sets on Sunday with the match taking two hours and 41 minutes to complete.
Afterwards the world No 2 admitted that had been struggling.
“It was the end of two tough weeks of tennis and of course you’re not at your top (level) physically,” the Spaniard said.
“I felt something in my leg and that didn’t really help me. Now it’s time to recover.”
READ MORE: ATP Acapulco draw features Carlos Alcaraz, Cameron Norrie, 12 Americans and the Berrettini brothers
Next up is the Mexican Open with Alcaraz due to face American Mackenzie McDonald in the first round on Tuesday, but tennis journalist Steve Flink has urged the 19-year-old about rethinking his schedule.
“We could tell (he) has got an issue there, a serious issue – trying to play through it,” Fink said on the Court-Side with Beilinson Tennis podcast. “Let’s just hope that Carlos is wise about his schedule for the next month.”
Alcaraz will fly to the United States after the Acapulco event as he will take part in the Sunshine Double with the Indian Wells Masters main draw starting on March 9 before he kicks off his title defence at the Miami Open on March 20.
He added: “I certainly hope he wouldn’t try to make this – three straight weeks and go on to Acapulco. That could be a dangerous move. I strongly suspect he will not make that mistake.
“It isn’t even just a matter of Carlos thinking about this near-term, he has got to really pace himself through the years.
“He’s had a lot of woes, you might say; A lot of issues with his body and he’s clearly a very fit, young man, but he’s gotta pace himself. And we want to see him around this game into his 30s like the three icons of this generation.
“That will only happen if he gets wise counsel and if he’s willing at certain times to say ‘No. I am putting my racketdown for a few weeks, I’m going to save myself.’”
READ MORE: Carlos Alcaraz’s 2023 tennis schedule: Where is he competing next and his season so far…
The article Carlos Alcaraz urged to be ‘wise about schedule’, told playing in Acapulco ‘could be a dangerous move’ appeared first on Tennis365.com.