Championship - Cardiff held, Palace and Boro in defeats

Cardiff City's Championship promotion push was held up as Ipswich earned a 0-0 draw at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Championship - Cardiff held, Palace and Boro in defeats

View photo

Peter Whittingham, Cardiff (PA Sport)

The home side had only dropped points at home once this season but Ipswich stood firm and even hit the post through Guirane N'Daw's rasping shot.

There was movement in the play-off places, however, as Crystal Palace lost 1-0 at Burnley through a late goal from Junior Stanislas, while Middlesborough were beaten 2-1 at home to fellow promotion hopefuls Watford, thanks to a brace from Matej Vydra.

Leicester shot up into third with a crushing 4-0 victory at Bristol City. Old boy Chris Wood was the star of the show, with a first-half hat-trick condemning his former club to the foot of the table.

And the Robins sacked manager Derek McInnes hours after slumping to the bottom.

Managerless Barnsley climbed off the bottom of the Championship with a 2-0 win at home to Leeds.

Tykes caretaker boss David Flitcroft, in charge for his third game following the recent sacking of Keith Hill, had Chris Dagnall to thank for the three points with a timely brace.

Brighton's perfect start to 2013 continued with a 2-1 win over Derby, with Ashley Barnes and Andrea Orlandi scoring in the first 25 minutes before a Jeff Hendrick consolation.

Adam Hammill came to Huddersfield's rescue deep into injury time to deny Birmingham boss Lee Clark a winning return to West Yorkshire in a 1-1 draw.

Alex McLeish won his first match as Nottingham Forest manager, his side sealing a 2-1 victory over Peterborough thanks to Elliot Ward's

Goals from Johnnie Jackson and Scott Wagstaff handed Charlton 2-1 win over Blackpool with Nathan Eccleston netting a late consolation.

Bolton midfielder Keith Andrews cancelled out Andy Keogh's early penalty with a spot-kick of his own as Millwall claimed a 1-1 draw in their first ever visit to the Reebok Stadium.

In the evening game, Sheffield Wednesday inflicted a 3-1 defeat on Hull.

The Owls won it thanks to a goalkeeping howler from the Tigers' Eldin Jakupovic, who inexplicably dropped Miguel Llera's corner over the line and then had to leave the field wearing a neck brace after Reda Johnson had clattered into him.

Hull wanted a foul for Johnson's challenge, which led to a 10-minute stoppage, but Haywood waved away appeals and Wednesday made sure of the points in the seventh minute of injury time when Michail Antonio raced clear and rolled home.

View comments (5)