Championship - Debutant Campbell snatches Cardiff win

Fraizer Campbell made a goalscoring debut to secure Cardiff their fifth straight away win in the Championship and lift them 10 points clear at the top of the table with a 1-0 victory at Leeds.

PA Sport
Premier League - Mackay gets Cardiff backing

View photo

Cardiff City's manager Malky Mackay

Fraizer Campbell made a goalscoring debut to secure Cardiff their fifth straight away win in the Championship and lift them 10 points clear at the top of the table with a 1-0 victory at Leeds.

Campbell, 25, for whom Cardiff recently paid an undisclosed fee to Sunderland, capitalised on a defensive mix-up to convert from six yards just two minutes after replacing Bo-Kyung Kim in the second half.

Malky Mackay's side have now dropped only two points in their last seven matches, but by no means had it all their own way at Elland Road and needed a fine late save from goalkeeper David Marshall from Tom Lees' header as they extended their unbeaten league run to seven matches.

Marshall also pulled off a superb save to deny Ross Barkley in the first half, while Ross McCormack and Michael Brown had earlier gone close to breaking the deadlock.

Hull got their promotion bid back on track with a first win in four games courtesy of a goal inside the opening minute at Millwall. The Tigers, without a victory since they beat Leeds at the end of December, earned the points with 45 seconds on clock when David Meyler took advantage of poor defending to slam the ball home. The hosts offered very little until a late flurry, with James Henry missing an absolute sitter midway through the second half.

Matej Vydra scored his 19th league goal of the season as Watford came from behind to beat Bolton 2-1 at Vicarage Road. Bolton's former Hornets striker Marvin Sordell gave his side the lead from a penalty in the 32nd minute following Daniel Pudil's foul on Sam Ricketts. The home side responded four minutes later when on-loan Udinese striker Vydra eased past Bolton's defence to stroke from 10 yards out, and the winner arrived 20 minutes from time when Almen Abdi stroked the ball into the bottom corner.

Ipswich picked up their first win of 2013 and boosted their survival prospects with a thumping 4-0 win over play-off contenders Middlesbrough at Portman Road. Tommy Smith netted just before half-time, David McGoldrick fired in a screamer minutes after the restart and Aaron McLean made it 3-0 on 56 minutes, before Smith scored his second to seal Town's first home win since December.

Glenn Murray got Crystal Palace's promotion bid back on track with a late double to sink south London rivals Charlton 2-1. The striker took his tally for the season 25 goals, cancelling out Ricardo Fuller's first-half opener for the Addicks.

Burnley's Martin Paterson scored an 85th-minute equaliser to prevent Peterborough moving off the foot of the table in a 2-2 draw at London Road. Charlie Austin scored after just 64 seconds on his return from injury, although Tommy Rowe's two second-half strikes appeared to have secured a vital victory for Posh. But substitute Paterson pounced late on to secure a point for the Clarets and leave Darren Ferguson's side bottom.

Sheffield Wednesday beat Brighton 3-1 to claim a sixth victory in nine Championship matches. On-loan duo Leroy Lita and Danny Pugh both grabbed their first goals for the Owls and Ashley Barnes was given his marching orders for the visitors. The Seagulls clawed a goal back through Andrea Orlandi but the hosts wrapped up the victory through Michail Antonio. There was a second-half melee that saw Owls boss Dave Jones sent to the stands as stewards and police tried to restore order after Pugh's heavy challenge on Inigo Calderon.

Nottingham Forest boss Alex McLeish's difficult week ended with a 2-1 defeat at the hands of his former employers Birmingham thanks to a brace from a transfer target he missed out on. On Friday Forest chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi issued a statement insisting his relationship with McLeish was cordial despite rumours to the contrary after George Boyd's move to the City Ground collapsed. And it was Chris Burke, another man that McLeish wanted yet failed to land before the January window closed, who struck once in either half with Billy Sharp's late penalty proving to be a consolation for Forest.

First-half goals from Craig Bryson and Jamie Ward set Derby on their way to a first Championship victory since New Year's Day with a 3-0 success over Huddersfield. Captain Richard Keogh added a third after half-time to inflict a first defeat on Huddersfield caretaker manager Mark Lillis - a former Rams player and coach.

In-form Blackburn striker Jordan Rhodes netted in each half to reach the 100 league goal barrier in just 157 starts and secure his side's second victory of the week in a 2-0 win over Bristol City. The 22-year-old scored for the fifth successive game just before the half-hour mark before latching onto Danny Murphy's pass and firing home with typical accuracy to secure the points for Rovers.

Jason Scotland was Barnsley's super-sub once more as David Flitcroft's side made it three straight wins in their quest for survival with a 2-1 win at Blackpool. Scotland, who scored on his debut in the 2-0 win over Millwall, finished in the 88th minute after his initial shot was saved by Blackpool's substitute goalkeeper Mark Halstead, who replaced Matt Gilks after he was sent off for handball outside the box. Jim O'Brien had sent Barnsley in ahead at the break, but Tom Ince deservedly levelled matters with his 16th of the season after 55 minutes.

View comments (3)