Championship - Fulham nightmare continues, rampant Forest go top

Fulham’s nightmare start to life after the Premier League continued with their fourth Championship defeat in four, a 5-1 hammering at Derby.

Championship - Fulham nightmare continues, rampant Forest go top

View photo

Derby County's Chris Martin celebrates scoring his sides second goal of the game (PA)

Jamie Ward scored his third goal of the week, following a double in a 3-2 losing effort midweek at Charlton, to put the hosts ahead in the first half.

Scott Parker’s equaliser gave Felix Magath’s men all of five minutes of parity before Craig Bryson, a Chris Martin double and Simon Dawkins sealed an emphatic result.

Dawkins’ goal came almost immediately after the match restarted at 4-1, further heaping the humiliation onto the side who were one half of the 2010 Europa League final.

Elsewhere in the second tier Jordan Rhodes underlined his value to Blackburn on the day Hull were told he was not for sale by inspiring Rovers to a 3-2 victory over Bournemouth.

The Scotland international marked his 100th appearance for the east Lancashire club by scoring his 54th goal just hours after Rovers had issued a statement confirming they had rebuffed two bids from the Tigers.

Rhodes' opener kick-started a first-half blitz which saw the hosts score three times inside 11 minutes. Captain Grant Hanley headed in a second from Tom Cairney's corner and Rudy Gestede diverted Craig Conway's shot past Lee Camp moments later.

Blackburn were denied a first clean sheet of the campaign nine minutes from time, though, as Brett Pitman converted a penalty which Adam Smith appeared to have dived to win. Steve Cook then headed home in the 90th minute but Rovers were still able to seal a first home win of the season.

Sheffield Wednesday held off a dramatic late Middlesbrough fightback to claim all three points at the Riverside.

The Owls appeared to be cruising after Atdhe Nuhiu had struck either side of Stevie May's first goal for the club.

Three-nil up after 57 minutes following Nuhiu's second, Wednesday were in total control until Glenn Loovens brought down Boro fans' favourite Kike.

Skipper Grant Leadbitter despatched the penalty, and then repeated the trick in the 92nd minute following Tom Lees' handball, to set up a tense finish.

But Wednesday held on to take the spoils and lift themselves into the top six following a solid start to the campaign.

Michail Antonio returned to haunt former club Reading, firing in two goals and setting up another as Nottingham Forest enhanced their Championship promotion credentials with a thumping 4-0 win at the City Ground.

Antonio netted with a first-half header to give Stuart Pearce's side a 1-0 lead at the break, before they stepped up a gear in the second half, with Antonio prodding home a second in the 47th minute before setting up Matty Fryatt for a headed goal six minutes later.

It took the former Sheffield Wednesday man's tally to four for the season - and B£5million striker Britt Assombalonga was not to be outdone, notching his fourth of the campaign from close range to cap off victory in the 64th minute.

Forest's win maintained their unbeaten start to the campaign - and also their position at the top of the table.

Igor Vetokele’s third goal of the season deep into stoppage time kept Charlton unbeaten so far in this campaign as they avoided defeat against 10-man Huddersfield in dramatic fashion.

Both sides came within inches of finding the net at on more than one occasion throughout the game, but the hosts found themselves a man shy when Murray Wallace was sent off on the stroke of half-time for a ‘last-man’ foul.

Nonetheless, an unmarked Nahki Wells put the depleted Yorkshire side ahead five minutes into the second half and came close to finding a second several times.

The lead disappeared in heartbreaking style as Vetokele continued his prolific start to the season by sparing the Londoners’ blushes inside five minutes of time added on at the end of the match.

Ben Pringle scored the only goal of the game as Rotherham continued their impressive start to life in the Championship with victory at Millwall.

The midfielder tapped home after 49 minutes to ensure that the Millers made it two wins from four league games since their promotion in May.

Alex Revell could have given them a first-half lead when he shot wide from six yards, but Pringle's strike along with some excellent defending proved to be enough.

The result, meanwhile, was Millwall's first loss of the season, and the first time that they had tasted defeat in the Championship since March.

Watford kept their place among the early-season pace-setters with a 4-1 win over nine-man Leeds at Vicarage Road.

The sides were level at the interval after Fernando Forestieri's opener had been cancelled out by a Gabriel Tamas own goal, but the game swung in the hosts' favour after the interval when Giuseppe Bellusci was sent off after bringing down Forestieri in the penalty area.

Troy Deeney dispatched the spot-kick and Forestieri applied the gloss soon after with a fine third.

That looked like it would be the end of the scoring until added-time when Daniel Tozser added the Hornets' fourth from a long-range free-kick before Sam Byram became the second Leeds player to be sent off for an apparent elbow on Daniel Pudil.

Oriol Riera's first goal in English football gave Wigan Athletic their first Championship victory of the season, beating Blackpool 1-0.

The scoreline was hugely flattering to the Seasiders, who were on the back foot for virtually the whole game and offered very little going forward.

But Wigan could not take advantage of a number of carefully-crafted chances - and another inspired display from Callum McManaman - and were rather hanging on at the death.

The winning goal was a worthy one, Riera taking his time before finding the bottom corner with his left foot.

Brighton came from behind to clinch their second successive victory with Craig Mackail-Smith and Joao Teixeira getting the goals in a 2-1 victory over Bolton at the Amex Stadium.

Defender Matt Mills gave winless Wanderers the lead but Brighton fought back strongly to leave Dougie Freedman's men with only one point from their first four Sky Bet Championship games.

Brentford came from behind to earn a battling 1-1 draw with Birmingham at Griffin Park.

Clayton Donaldson came back to haunt his old club when he earned the penalty that Paul Caddis calmly stroked home as Bees skipper Tony Craig saw red for the foul with the visitors threatening to run riot.

But Brentford dug deep after the break and fully deserved to level when substitute Moses Odubajo raced the length of the City half and chipped over goalkeeper Darren Randolph.

Wolves completed a top-class hat-trick as a stoppage-time own goal from Mark Hudson earned them a 1-0 win Sky Bet Championship win against Cardiff.

Hudson deflected the ball into his own net following a speculative shot from Kevin McDonald.

The goal ensured Wolves have now beaten all three of the sides relegated from the Premier League last season, having already secured 1-0 wins against Norwich and Fulham.

The defeat capped a testing week in the worst possible way for Cardiff, who were in the headlines in the build-up to the game following the probe into former manager Malky Mackay and sporting director Iain Moody.

View comments (4)