Championship - Ings at the double as Burnley move clear

Burnley extended their lead at the top of the Championship after securing a 2-0 win over title-rivals QPR.

Championship - Leicester pegged back by Ings-inspired Burnley

View photo

Danny Ings, Burnley (PA)

Sean Dyche’s men have been the stand-out side so far this season, keeping seven clean sheets at home before today’s shutout.

The game was an open affair, with Harry Redknapp’s QPR seeing a lot of the ball without really testing Tom Heaton in the Clarets’ net.

Former Burnley forward Charlie Austin had a disappointing return to Turf Moor, having been kept quiet all afternoon.

Danny Ings broke the deadlock on 65 minutes, finishing from just inside the penalty area following some neat build-up play down the right.

The striker then notched his eighth goal in as many games, converting from the penalty spot as the hosts extended their lead at the top of the table.

Bolton are still searching for their first home win of the season after David McGoldrick's equaliser saw them draw their third successive game 1-1 at the Reebok against Ipswich.

Medo Kamara put Bolton into the lead after 65 minutes by placing a free-kick into the corner of the net.

But Town managed to score just eight minutes later through McGoldrick's left-footed strike to leave the Trotters still fighting for their second win of the season.

Derby manager Steve McClaren was denied a hat-trick of victories as Birmingham bounced back from last week's thrashing at Leeds to grab a point from a 1-1 draw at Pride Park.

McClaren looked on course to collect his third win since taking charge when Jamie Ward scored his third goal in a week to give Derby a deserved first-half lead.

But Birmingham showed character after the break and drew level when substitute Lee Novak volleyed past Lee Grant in the 66th minute to halt a run of five away defeats.

A last-minute Steve Davies own-goal handed Blackburn a point in a 2-2 draw against Blackpool in a fiery Lancashire derby as both sides ended the game with 10 men.

Tom Ince's early penalty was cancelled out by Jordan Rhodes' own spot-kick before Dan Gosling's long-range effort gave Blackpool a first-half lead.

Yeovil rose off the bottom of the Championship table after a deserved 3-1 win over in-form Nottingham Forest.

A first-half brace from Ed Upson and a Byron Webster header inspired the Glovers to a first home win of the season - and ended Forest's impressive recent run of seven games without defeat.

Nathaniel Chalobah notched a consolation goal for the visitors.

But the game was marred late on when ex-Seasider DJ Campbell and Jack Robinson both saw red after a melee in the box involving all the outfield players.

And Blackburn drew level in stoppage time when Tom Cairney's right-wing free-kick went in off the head of Blackpool's Davies in a crowded penalty area.

David Nugent and Jamie Vardy fired the goals that gave Leicester a 2-1 win over Bournemouth in the Sky Bet Championship clash at the King Power Stadium.

Nugent claimed his eighth goal of the season with a clinical finish in the 17th minute and Vardy struck in the 64th minute.

In between Marc Pugh scored a spectacular 38th-minute goal but Leicester were good value for their sixth successive home league win that lifted them to second in the table.

Huddersfield striker Jon Stead's first goal in his second spell at his hometown club clinched a thrilling 3-2 derby win over Leeds.

Dexter Blackstock, signed on loan from Nottingham Forest this week, headed home a 73rd-minute equaliser with his first touch less than 60 seconds after stepping off the bench to draw the visitors level.

But four minutes later Stead rifled home an angled shot into the bottom corner to seal Huddersfield's first win in six league matches.

Barnsley were held to a 1-1 draw by Sheffield Wednesday in the South Yorkshire Derby.

Marcus Pedersen opened the scoring for the hosts in the 16th minute but Matty Fryatt, playing his last game for the Owls before his return to parent club Hull City, equalised with an impressive volley on the hour.

Reading squandered two points when they allowed 10-man Millwall to equalise in the second-minute of stoppage time and claim a 1-1 draw at the Madejski Stadium.

Reading had gone ahead early on through a Sean Morrison header but, after Millwall's Jimmy Abdou had been sent-off for a second yellow card, Liam Trotter levelled from the spot.

View comments (5)