Championship - Wigan and QPR play out cagey goalless draw

Championship play-off semi-final first leg, DW Stadium - Wigan Athletic 0 QPR 0

Championship - Wigan and QPR play out cagey goalless draw

View photo

Wigan Athletic's Callum McManaman (right) and Queens Park Rangers' Junior Hoilett (left) battle for the ball. (PA)

Wigan and QPR played out a cagey 0-0 draw in the first leg of the Championship Play-off Semi Final first leg at the DW Stadium.

Chances were few and far between as both sides looked nervy on the night and couldn’t fashion any quality in the final third as neither goalkeeper was called into any real action.

A dull first half was briefly lit up just before half-time as a long raking ball from Gary Caldwell found Jordi Gomez on the left side of the penalty area. He lost Danny Simpson and chested the ball down before unleashing a fierce drive at Robert Green who saved well at the near post.

The second half saw Wigan come to life as Marc Antoine Fortune missed a sitter from eight yards at the far post following a smashed ball across the goal. QPR huffed and puffed but couldn’t test Scott Carson with anything other than crosses for him to gather.

The result leaves the tie evenly poised for the second leg on Monday night.


37’ – FIRST SIGHT AT GOAL – Junior Hoilett danced in from the left wing and clipped a ball into the middle where Traore had got across his man but could only head over the crossbar.

42’ – GOMEZ CHANCE – Caldwell pings a lovely raking ball to Gomez at the left side of the penalty area. He brings it down expertly on his chest and unleashes a volley at Green’s goal but the keeper does well to save at the near post.

62’ – FORTUNE FLUFF – Maloney takes a corner to the near post which Kierney flicks on. The ball is not properly defended and drops back to the defender who smashes it across goal where Fortune stood free at the far post but could only smash the ball over the bar.

86’ – POSSIBLE PENALTY? – Throw in to Wigan with Waghorn looking to engineer some space. Hill stares straight at him with his back to the ball and blocks the run inside the area. Both players go down but the ref just waves for the throw to be taken.


Wigan enjoyed 55% of the possession but could only muster three shots on target while Carson had just one save to make in the entire 90 minutes.

QPR have stretched their unbeaten run against Wigan to six games, their last defeat coming in 2011 while both sides were Premier League clubs.

Wigan maintain their unbeaten run against QPR – they haven’t lost in six meetings between the sides following tonight’s draw.


Should Wigan have had a penalty late on? Clint Hill was not even looking at the ball or what was happening behind him as he blocked Martin Waghorn’s run to pick up the ball. It was definitely inside and replays showed there was blatant contact from the QPR defender. There is no reason that couldn’t have been given.


Emerson Boyce – The big defender didn’t put a foot wrong all game. He shackled Charlie Austin for much of the game and used the ball well when he had it at his feet. An imperious game from the Wigan stalwart.


Wigan Athletic: Carson 7, Caldwell 7, Kiernan 7, Perch 7, Boyce 8, Beausejour 7, McArthur 7, McManaman 7, Gomez 7, Maloney 7, Fortune 6.

Subs: Maynard 6, Waghorn 6.

QPR: Green 7, Simpson 7, Onouha 7, Dunne 7, Hill 6, Hoilett 7, Barton 6, O'Neil 6, Morrison 7, Traore 7, Austin 7.

Subs: Yun 6, Doyle 6, Kranjcar 6.

View comments (0)