Chelsea star Edouard Mendy changing negative ‘perception’ of black goalkeepers, says Leyton Orient’s Vigouroux

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
 (Chelsea FC via Getty Images)
(Chelsea FC via Getty Images)

Edouard Mendy is paving the way for black goalkeepers to be taken more seriously, according to Leyton Orient star Lawrence Vigouroux.

The 27-year-old shot-stopper, who has been subject to racist attacks online leading to a Port Vale fan being investigated by police, believes Chelsea star Mendy has smashed stereotypes between the posts.

As the first African goalkeeper to win the Champions League, the Senegal international has overwhelmingly impressed since his move from Rennes last year.

"It's not common that you see a black goalkeeper," Vigouroux told Orient’s YouTube channel.

"I think a lot of the perception was that, 'He's got a mistake in him' and I've had to battle through that my whole career. And not just me - there's loads of other black goalies that have had to deal with it.

"It's something that I think is changing. I look at Mendy at Chelsea - I had never heard of him when he signed for Chelsea - and he's been amazing, and he has paved the way for a lot of black goalkeepers.

"We can look up to him as a reference for what he's done in the recent past especially and I feel like that perception is starting to change a little bit.

"I'm looking at our league and I think there are seven or eight that are starting week in, week out, so I feel like that perception is changing, but there's a long way to go."

The teenage fan who sent the abusive message to Vigouroux has received a lifetime ban from Port Vale and the matter is the subject of an ongoing police investigation.

Vigouroux, who was a trainee at Tottenham, shared screenshots of the abuse on his Twitter account following his side's 3-2 loss in League Two on October 2.

"I just thought it would be in everybody's best interest to put [the abusive messages] out there," the Camden-born former Chile youth international said.

 (Getty Images)
(Getty Images)

"There have been some times in my career when I've received messages and either replied or they've been deleted quickly so I couldn't put them out there.

"This time I had the opportunity and I thought it was the right thing to put it out there and thankfully it got the right reaction, not just from Leyton Orient fans but from fans of every club in the country.

"I got a lot of support and I just want to thank everyone that sent me a message and put it out there that your support didn't go unnoticed and I appreciate every message that I received."

Additional reporting by PA Media.

Read More

Chelsea star Edouard Mendy’s Ballon d’Or snub slammed by Senegal teammates Sadio Mane and Kalidou Koulibaly

Port Vale issue indefinite ban to supporter who sent racist message to Leyton Orient player Lawrence Vigouroux

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting