Clement Lenglet travels to London to finalise Tottenham switch as exact financial onus on Daniel Levy emerges

·3-min read
Clement Lenglet of FC Barcelona during the Group E - UEFA Champions League match between FC Barcelona and Dinamo Kiev at the Camp Nou on October 20, 2021 in Barcelona Credit: PA Images
Clement Lenglet of FC Barcelona during the Group E - UEFA Champions League match between FC Barcelona and Dinamo Kiev at the Camp Nou on October 20, 2021 in Barcelona Credit: PA Images

Tottenham are hoping to announce the signing of Clement Lenglet before the end of this week with the player reportedly already in London ahead of his medical.

Antonio Conte’s side have made a storming start to the transfer window with four new arrivals already in the bag. The most eye-catching of these are Richarlison and Yves Bissouma, both of whom had strength and solidity to their squad. But Conte and director Fabio Paratici are far from finished yet.

Indeed, the Spurs chief’s main priority this summer is to bolster his defence. While Ben Davies performed admirably as a left-sided centre-half, the feeling is that Conte wants to sign a specialist for the role. As such, a number of big-name defenders have been linked.

And while Gleison Bremer and Piero Hincapie continue to be linked, it seems Tottenham have, for now, settled on Lenglet.

The French centre-half is up for grabs this summer with Barcelona deciding he is one of nine stars up for sale. That news initially alerted Roma, but it seems the player has decided to make the Premier League – and Spurs – his next club.

Indeed, Tottenham have managed to negotiate an attractive deal with Barcelona. They will take the 27-year-old on a season’s loan, with an option to make the deal permanent next summer. That option has reportedly been set at a modest £8.5m (€10m).

Now according to Sport, that transfer is on the verge of going through. They claim Lenglet is already in London to embark on his medical checks, due to be held on Tuesday evening.

And they state that, ‘except for last-minute turns’, the player will soon be announced as a Tottenham player thereafter.

Clement Lenglet a risk-free signing for Tottenham

Furthermore, the report details more details of the liability Spurs chairman Daniel Levy will take on for Lenglet. They claim Tottenham will pay 85 per cent of the player’s wages for his year in London, with Barca picking up the remaining 15 per cent.

Currently on an estimated £97,000 per week, that will mean Spurs forking out £82,500 per week. That’s just shy of £4m for the season.

Truth be told, Lenglet is something of a win-win situation for Tottenham. While the defender has lost his way at Barcelona, there remains a very good player there. You don’t play for Barca, nor win 15 caps for France if not.

And a year at Spurs will allow Conte to assess whether to make the 27-year-old’s move permanent.

He will also retain very faint hopes of performing well and winning a place in Didier Deschamps’ World Cup squad. While the vast array of options open to France make that a long shot, he can at least start afresh and try to impress.

Lenglet has spent four seasons at Barcelona following a €35m move from Sevilla. During that time he’s made 160 appearances, scoring seven times.

Spurs, meanwhile, are reportedly on the brink of securing the sale of Steven Bergwijn with Ajax agreeing to shatter their transfer record.

The article Clement Lenglet travels to London to finalise Tottenham switch as exact financial onus on Daniel Levy emerges appeared first on Teamtalk.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting