Conor McGregor accepts Dustin Poirier fight for UFC comeback in January before Manny Pacquiao showdown

Tony Mogan
·1-min read
Getty Images
Getty Images

Conor McGregor says he has accepted the UFC’s offer to fight Dustin Poirier in December – before taking on Manny Pacquiao later in 2021.

‘Notorious’ announced his retirement from MMA in June but has been in talks over a return to the Octagon.

“We offered him a fight. We got him his own date,” UFC president Dana White told ESPN before adding: “He’s been offered Dustin Poirier on Jan. 23. It’s a yes or no answer.”

McGregor appears to have accepted those terms for a rematch with Poirier, who he secured a TKO win over in their first meeting back in 2014, with the two-weight world champion hopeful of taking the bout to the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas in the New Year.

“I accept, Jan 23rd is on!” McGregor tweeted on Thursday morning.

“My goal is to see this fight take place in Cowboy stadium. Proper Style! Jerry Jones is a friend and the stadium can hold our crowd. I will be ready for Texas and Texas will be ready for my fans!

“Then Manny.”

McGregor and Pacquaio are in talks for a boxing match next year with the Dubliner claiming last month the bout will be held in the Middle East.

Pacquiao’s special assistant Jake Joson said in September negotiations ahead of the fight are “starting to move on”, with a significant proportion of the Filipino’s earnings to go towards providing relief and support for Covid-19 victims in his homeland.

Read more

Conor McGregor set to fight Manny Pacquiao next year