After a relatively clean first half, there was some questionable officiating in the third quarter of the College Football Playoff National Championship Game.
And it proved costly for Georgia.
It started on a punt after Alabama went three-and-out on its first drive of the third quarter. A Georgia player got a great jump on the snap and blocked the punt. It looked like Georgia, which was leading 13-0, would be in great position to add onto its lead. However, Georgia’s Tyler Simmons was issued an offsides penalty.
Upon a second look, it appeared to be the wrong call. Here’s another replay:
— Dan Worthington (@danWorthington) January 9, 2018
Instead of regaining possession in the red zone, Alabama was given five yards and allowed to re-kick.
Bama got the punt off cleanly this time and Georgia took over at its own 36. But UGA also quickly went three-and-out. On a third down run, though, Alabama got away with a facemask penalty on Georgia running back D’Andre Swift. It was pretty blatant, and it would have given the Bulldogs a first down, but the refs somehow missed it.
Instead of a first down, Georgia kicked it back to Alabama. The Tide went on to score their first points of the game on the ensuing drive, cutting the lead to 13-7.
Georgia scored on the next drive to bring the lead back to 13 points at 20-7. But Alabama, led by true freshman quarter Tua Tagovailoa, ended up storming all the way back to win in overtime, 26-23.
More CFP national title game coverage from Yahoo Sports:
• Alabama stuns Georgia in overtime 26-23 to win national title
• How ‘Hawaiian Tebow’ Tua Tagovailoa became an Alabama legend
• Alabama wins national title over Georgia: Sports world reacts
• Alabama OL Bradley Bozeman wins title, immediately proposes to girlfriend
• Protests, long lines, cheers and boos greet Trump at championship game
• Alabama benches QB JalenHurts for freshman backup
• ’F— Trump heard yelled in tunnel as Alabama hit field
• Lane Kiffin tweets frustration with Alabama’s playcalling
• Alabama LB Mekhi Brown punches Georgia player, goes after staff member on sideline
– – – – – – –