Gove: Britons won't be able to visit seaside resorts 'for some time to come'

Yahoo News UK

Michael Gove has warned that people will not be able to visit seaside resorts “for some time to come” as the UK continues its coronavirus lockdown.

Speaking in the House of Commons on Tuesday, the minister revealed that a total of 3,203 fines had been handed out to people who flouted social distancing rules between 27 March and 13 April.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

Addressing the issue of travel within the UK, Steve Double, the MP for St Austell and Newquay, said: “One of the biggest concerns of people in Cornwall is that as we start to ease the lockdown we will start to see an influx of people coming to Cornwall and risk another wave.

Signs displayed informing visitors of COVID-19 measures above a deserted Bigbury Beach in Devon. (Getty)
Signs displayed informing visitors of COVID-19 measures above a deserted Bigbury Beach in Devon. (Getty)

“So can my right honourable friend assure me that as the government considers lifting the restrictions it will come with clear and enforceable travel restrictions to prevent this from happening?”

Gove replied: “My honourable friend is right, Cornwall is beautiful, visiting it is a pleasure, but at the moment and for some time to come, don’t.”

Latest coronavirus news, updates and advice

Live: Follow all the latest updates from the UK and around the world

Fact-checker: The number of COVID-19 cases in your local area

6 charts and maps that explain how coronavirus is spreading

He added: "Our police have been working hard to keep people safe, while enforcing the new measures the prime minister put in place just over a month ago.

"They've issued 3,203 fines between March 27 and April 13 to those who have flouted social distancing rules and this number will of course have increased considerably since then, all dedicated to helping save lives and protecting the NHS."

Gove acknowledged that the government has not got every judgment right in the steps taken to tackle the coronavirus, but said it would “do their very best”.

He said: "There will of course be further challenges ahead and I don't shirk from acknowledging that we won't as a government have got every judgment right.

"I and my colleagues will do our very best at all times to respond to these questions and challenges because we owe it to our public sector workers to work collaboratively and to harness all available resources in the fight against this virus.

"And in this fight, it is important that all of us recognise just how much we owe to the stoicism and steadfastness, the hard work and heroism, the compassion and commitment of those working at the front line of public service."

Coronavirus: what happened today?

Click here to sign up to the latest news, advice and information with our daily Catch-up newsletter

What to read next