Cricket - England break T20 records in win over New Zealand

Eden Park, Auckland – First Twenty20: England 214-7 (Morgan 46, Wright 42) beat New Zealand 174-9 (Guptill 44, Broad 4-24) by 40 runs.

Cricket - New Zealand v England: Third T20 LIVE

View photo

England's Stuart Broad celebrates with Alex Hales in New Zealand (AFP)

England clinched a 40-run victory over New Zealand in the first Twenty20 in Auckland after racking up a record-breaking 214 for seven with the bat.

Stuart Broad's side exploited the tiny boundaries at Eden Park to plunder boundaries, and the tourists cleared the ropes 15 times – beating their previous record by four – as they easily surpassed their highest T20 score of 202 for six.

New Zealand never mustered the momentum required to challenge England's score, after having won the toss and elected to chase, with the tourists taking a 1-0 lead in the three match series.

Luke Wright topped the sixes charts with four, and the all-rounder later took 2-29 with the ball, while Broad starred with his best ever T20 international figures of 4-24 and Steven Finn also chipped in with three wickets.

"The freedom the guys played with today was fantastic: it was great to see," Broad said. "To be able to get such a high score, we are delighted. We knew we didn't need to over-strike the ball and think too much about the short boundaries. From a personal point of view to pick up wickets when it matters, and lead the side, is pleasing."

With the lopsided ground having little more than 60-yard boundaries at either end, England set about taking the Black Caps' attack apart, with openers Alex Hales and Michael Lumb hammering 21 and 22 runs off just 16 and 15 balls respectively.

Indeed, a total of 23 sixes were dispatched into the stands over the course of the game - one short of the all-time record.

Trent Boult and fellow left-arm seamer Mitchell McClenaghan found some early swing, but the pair struggled to contain the carefree England batsmen, with Kiwi skipper Brendon McCullum unable to stem the tide.

Hales greeted the introduction of Ronnie Hira's left-arm spin with some savage blows, but he proceeded to miss one that drifted into him and was easily stumped.

Wright was quick to upstage both Hales and Lumb as he blasted seven boundaries at a strike rate of 210.00.

Ross Taylor, back for his first international match since being controversially relieved of the New Zealand captaincy and then sitting out the tour of South Africa, was given a tremendous ovation as he entered the field of play, but he crucially dropped Wright at cover off Nathan McCullum and then Lumb off the bowling of Andrew Ellis.

Wright was eventually caught in the leg-side off Ellis and then Lumb miscued an attempted hook at McClenaghan to short fine-leg, but the two wickets only served to bring the dangerous Jonny Bairstow and Eoin Morgan together.

Hira dropped Jonny Bairstow on 22 off Ellis as the hosts continued to make blunders in the field, McClenaghan inexplicably failing to pick up a shot from Morgan which he could not even get a hand to at midwicket off Nathan McCullum.

Hira got Morgan's wicket in the end as he presented Taylor with an even more unmissable opportunity, and Bairstow followed shortly afterwards as he failed to clear Martin Guptill at long on.

With England's entire top six making at least 20 runs each at a rate of over a run-a-ball, New Zealand's task was always going to be a formidable one, but Guptill led from the front with a savage 44.

While Guptill cut loose at one end, Finn and Broad removed the dangerous Brendon McCullum and debutant Hamish Rutherford, and the dismissal of Taylor for just 13 represented another huge setback for the hosts as the Middlesex paceman struck again.

Colin Munro managed to add 28 for the Black Caps, but there was little further resistance after Guptill was dismissed by Wright.

Hira was left unbeaten on 20 at the end, but the hosts' efforts petered out poorly in the final overs and England comfortably closed out a fine victory which sees them begin the tour in impressive fashion.

The two sides will now meet again for the second T20 in Hamilton on Tuesday, before the final encounter of the three-match series at Wellington on February 15.

View comments (45)