Cricket - Jesse Ryder feeling 'heaps better'

New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder said he was "heaps better" but "really tired" in his first public statement since the attack which put him in intensive care.

PA Sport
Cricket - Jesse Ryder feeling 'heaps better'

View photo

Jesse Ryder was attacked in Christchurch in New Zealand after a night out with friends

The 28-year-old Wellington all-rounder was admitted to Christchurch Hospital in the early hours of Thursday morning and placed in an induced coma after suffering multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, in an attack outside a bar.

Ryder was on Saturday brought out of the coma and is now out of intensive care. On Saturday, he released a statement saying: "I just want to let everyone know that I'm okay. I feel heaps better today but still really tired."

Ryder added: "I've been reading your messages that have been sent so thank you to everyone for thinking of me over the last few days.

"I want to thank everyone who has been caring for me at the hospital - they have been awesome. Thank you to my family and friends who have been here also."

Two men - a 20-year-old and a 37-year-old who police said are related - will appear in court on Thursday charged with assault.

Police believe Ryder was involved in an altercation with two people outside Aikmans bar in the Christchurch suburb of Merivale shortly after 12.30am local time on Thursday morning, and was then assaulted by one of the two, who followed him towards the car park of a nearby McDonald's.

Ryder, a controversial figure whose career has been plagued by off-field incidents, has not played for New Zealand since February last year.

View comments (3)