Cristiano Ronaldo charged over angry mobile phone incident with teen

·2-min read
Cristiano Ronaldo charged over angry mobile phone incident with teen
Cristiano Ronaldo charged over angry mobile phone incident with teen

Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with “improper and/or violent” conduct by the Football Association.

It comes after an incident that relates to the Manchester United forward’s behaviour at Everton last season.

Video footage showed Ronaldo appearing to knock a fan’s mobile phone to the ground after United’s 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park on April 9, for which the Portuguese was cautioned by Merseyside Police.

In a statement from Merseyside Police at the time of the incident, they said: "We can confirm that a 37-year-old man voluntarily attended and was interviewed under caution in relation to an allegation of assault and criminal damage.

PA

"The allegation relates to an incident following the Everton v Manchester United football match at Goodison Park on Saturday 9 April.

“The matter has been dealt with by way of a conditional caution. The matter has now concluded.”

However, the FA has decided to probe the incident and a spokesperson said on Twitter: “Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 for an incident that took place after Manchester United FC’s Premier League match against Everton on Saturday 9 April 2022.

“It is alleged that the forward’s conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent.”

Manchester United has issued a statement saying: "We note the FA announcement in relation to Cristiano Ronaldo. We will be supporting the player in his response to the charge."

Ronaldo had previously shared a statement in which he apologised for his actions and offered the teenager in question, Jacob Harding, an opportunity to attend a game at Old Trafford.

Saying: “I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship.”