Crystal Palace 1 West Ham 1: Wilfried Zaha seals comeback draw at Selhurst Park

Crystal Palace 1 West Ham 1: Wilfried Zaha seals comeback draw at Selhurst Park

Wilfried Zaha put his FA charge to one side and scored a late equaliser on his return from suspension to earn Crystal Palace a point against West Ham.

Zaha was given permission to play by the FA while he considers whether to appeal his additional one-match ban for sarcastically clapping referee Andre Marriner at Southampton.

And the winger saved Palace when he levelled late on after Mark Noble had put West Ham in front from the penalty spot in the first half.

Zaha, who was banned for his side’s 2-0 win against Fulham last weekend, is set to appeal his suspension and Palace will hope that will be successful and he will be available to face Doncaster in the FA Cup next Sunday.

West Ham had looked to be heading for three points after Noble scored but Palace deserved their point after they had wasted a host of chances to equalise before Zaha scored.

James McArthur and Michy Batshuayi missed golden chances in the second half but Zaha rescued Palace when his deflected shot beat Lukasz Fabianski.

It means West Ham remain without a win since January. The Hammers left Marko Arnautovic on the bench and were in control at half-time after a good first-half display.

Batshuayi made a difference for Palace when he came on for Christian Benteke midway through the second half and the point for Palace means they are three points clear of the relegation zone.

Pellegrini stuck with the same team that played so well against Liverpool - leaving Arnautovic on the bench - and West Ham started well at Selhurst Park.

The away side created two early openings and Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita had to make smart saves to keep out Ryan Fredericks and Robert Snodgrass.

Fabianski kept out James McArthur with a smart stop at the other end before West Ham took a deserved after 27 minutes when Noble scored from the penalty stop.

A clever ball from the impressive Declan Rice led to Guaita bringing down and Noble made no mistake to put the Hammers ahead.

Fabianski continued his impressive recent form with a good save to deny Christian Benteke and Palace frustrations grew as the half wore on.

Palace fans were unhappy when referee Craig Pawson booked Aaron Wan-Bissaka for what looked like a clean tackle on Aaron Cresswell and made their feelings clear to the officials at half-time.

Palace came out with more intent after the break and McArthur wasted a wonderful chance to equalise at the start of the second half.

Patrick van Aanholt slipped the ball into McArthur, who beat the office trap inside the area and only had Fabianski to beat. The midfielder took what seemed like an age to get a shot away and when he eventually did he someone hit the outside the post.

It was a huge chance and Palace fans could not quite believe McArthur had missed.

Hodgson waited until the hour mark before throwing on Batshuayi for Benteke.

Luka Milivojevic was fortunate to escape a red card when, already on a booking, he brought down Mark Noble and somehow escaped a second yellow.

And then Palace wasted another guilt-edged chance to level when Batshuayi fired wide from.

Batshuayi only had Fabianski to beat when he found space inside the area but he missed the target when he had to score.

West Ham were holding on. Pellegrini brought on Arnautovic to replace Hernandez and it was turning into a frustrating afternoon for Palace.

But the Eagles did level on 76 minutes when Zaha wriggled free of two West Ham defenders inside the penalty area and his shot deflected off Issa Diop and past Fabianski at his near post.

It was no more than Palace had deserved and they pushed for a late winner.

Zaha had a shot saved by Fabianski after a neat one-two with Max Meyer but it ended all-square.