Daniel Levy flies to Bahamas for talks with Spurs owner Joe Lewis over investment and transfer budgets

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·4-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Daniel Levy with Spurs owner Joe Lewis - Daniel Levy flies to Bahamas for talks with Spurs owner Joe Lewis over investment and transfer budgets - REUTERS
Daniel Levy with Spurs owner Joe Lewis - Daniel Levy flies to Bahamas for talks with Spurs owner Joe Lewis over investment and transfer budgets - REUTERS

Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy has travelled to the Bahamas to meet with the club’s owner Joe Lewis on the billionaire’s luxury boat as head coach Antonio Conte waits to find out the size of their ambition.

Telegraph Sport understands Tottenham have held talks with a number of individuals and companies regarding potential investment into the club, while Levy will have also used the trip to discuss the size of the club’s January transfer budget.

Although the club will not comment on Levy’s whereabouts or the nature of the visit, it is understood he has been spending time with Lewis in the Bahamas, where the 84-year-old lives.

Telegraph Sport last month revealed that the richest man in Singapore, Forrest Li, was recently a guest of Levy at a Spurs game and was given a tour of the stadium. Li, whose net worth is estimated at £15 billion, is the chairman and chief executive of consumer internet company Sea.

Sources close to Li have denied that he travelled to England to discuss potential investment into Tottenham, but he is described as being a friend of Levy and there has been new interest from America in putting money into Spurs.

Levy has missed Tottenham’s last four games, including the sobering Carabao Cup semi-final first-leg defeat to Chelsea after which Conte described Spurs as being “middle” and claimed the team’s level had dropped “a lot.”

Although his assessment may have made for some uncomfortable listening, Conte, who will rest players for Sunday’s FA Cup tie against Morecambe, has warned he will not sugar-coat his opinions.

Conte said: “My relationship with my players is based on the truth because when I was a player, I hated the coach that told me good lies to keep me calm and in a good relationship.

“After a defeat, you can learn more and with my players they know very well that I’ll always tell them the truth because with the truth you can improve. With good lies I think that you don’t have a long time to live.”

Levy’s absence has not held up Tottenham’s plans for this month, with the club's managing director of football Fabio Paratici opening talks over a move for Wolverhampton Wanderers star Adama Traore.

Traore is yet to sign a new contract with Wolves, who are understood to be open to allowing him to leave for around £20 million this month. Tottenham are hopeful of completing a deal, having failed with a bid last summer.

Conte sees Traore filling the right wing-back role in his team, although he could also help provide some cover for Heung-Min Son, who the Italian revealed could be out for the rest of the month with an injury he suffered against Chelsea.

'We both want the best for Tottenham,' says Conte of Levy

On the talks between Levy and Lewis, and how they might impact him, Conte said: “We want the best for Tottenham and the first person who wants to improve the situation is our chairman, and we will have time to speak together.

“Also, with the people that work in the club to try to understand the situation well, if there is the opportunity to improve the squad in this transfer market.

“I think it will be a good opportunity after two months to speak about the situation that now is very clear for me. We have two ways to improve the situation – improve the level of players we have in our squad and another opportunity could be to improve the quality of the squad. But January is not easy for anyone and we will see what happens.”

Conte signed an 18-month contract, worth around £20m, when he succeeded Nuno Espirito Santo and fears have already been raised over whether or not that is too short for him to carry out the changes and improvement he wants to make at Tottenham.

“I don’t need a long contract to be sure to work for a club,” said Conte. “I think that the club has to appreciate my job and then to extend my contract. But only if I showed the club I deserve it.

“Also, it’s not fair. Because I know very well I’m a top coach with an important salary for the club. I’m open to improve the Tottenham situation and I’m available to give my opinion, to give my vision and it won’t be a problem for me, a short contract - only one year to go.

“I understand my salary is an important salary for the club and I have to deserve this type of contract. It’s ok because Tottenham has to be sure 120 per cent to continue to work with me.”

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting