Deontay Wilder’s comments about killing an opponent are to be investigated by the World Boxing Council.
The American WBC world heavyweight champion said he was ‘trying to get a body on my record’ ahead of his clash with Dominic Breazeale on Saturday.
But the governing body of the sport have criticised the 33-year-old boxer for his comments and confirmed he will be subject of a hearing.
They added the comments by the boxer, who remains unbeaten in 41 fights, are ‘against the spirit of our sport’.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said: "I have known Wilder for a long time and he is not the person he portrays in such comments.
"His metaphors are against the WBC code of ethics and will be addressed in a hearing."
READ MORE: Wilder reiterates desire to kill in the ring
READ MORE: Wilder: Joshua fight is inevitable
Former world heavyweight champion Frank Bruno led the backlash against Wilder.
Bruno added the comments ‘gave boxing a bad name’ while promoter Eddie Hearn was another vocal critic.
Earlier in the week, Wilder said: "Dominic Breazeale asked for this. I didn't go seek him. He [sought] me. So if it comes it comes. This is a brutal sport. This is not a gentleman sport.
"We don't ask to hit each other in the face but we do anyway. And you can ask any doctor around the world, he will tell you, your head is not meant to be hit.
"On this particular time we have bad blood against each other. This is the only sport where you can kill a man and get paid for it at the same time. It's legal. So why not use my right to do so?"
Featured from our writers: