Djokovic-Ferrer suspended, US Open final moved to Monday

The US Open men's final was switched from Sunday to Monday for the fifth year in a row after Saturday's second semi-final between Novak Djokovic and David Ferrer was suspended because of bad weather.

Djokovic-Ferrer suspended, US Open final moved to Monday

View photo

David Ferrer and Novok Djokovic are informed that their US Open semi-final is suspended due to expected bad weather

Ferrer was leading 5-2 in the opening set when officials stopped the match because of high winds and announced play would not resume until Sunday because of an approaching thunderstorm.

Earlier, Andy Murray won the first semi-final, beating Tomas Berdych 5-7 6-2 6-1 7-6. As the video above shows, the conditions were difficult even then, with chairs at one point during the match blowing across the court.

Murray will also have the advantage of an extra days's rest with Djokovic and Ferrer playing to a finish from 4pm (BST) on Sunday before the women's final begins between Victoria Azarenka and home hope Serena Williams at 9.30pm (BST).

"That was the toughest conditions I've played in, and I'm from Scotland. That is saying something," said the British number one Murray, who is chasing his first Grand Slam title in his fifth appearance in the final after twice losing the final of the Australian Open, the US Open and Wimbledon earlier this year.

"It was brutal. It's hard to describe. You had to focus for every single point, get in the right positions for every shot. The ball was moving, stopping, there were chairs flying. It was hard to serve, I was just trying to get balls in."

The US Open women's final between American Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus had earlier been postponed until Sunday.

An expected rainstorm and heavy winds later on Saturday caused them to take the pre-emptive decision.

The women's final had been scheduled to start at midnight (BST) on Saturday at Flushing Meadows.

Saturday afternoon saw torrential rain and even a tornado warning in the New York area which remained in effect on Saturday evening.

View comments (48)