A dog started a kitchen fire in its owner’s home by turning on the microwave.
The husky, which was left on its own in a house in Stanford-Le-Hope, reached up to a kitchen worktop to turn on the appliance, Essex Fire Service said.
A packet of bread rolls inside the microwave began to burn, causing a small fire in the kitchen on Monday.
The owner wasn’t at the semi-detached two-storey home, but received an alert about the fire on an app on his mobile phone.
He was able to view the fire through a live feed from a camera installed in the home on Kingsman Road.
Firefighters were called to put out the blaze and the dog was unharmed.
Geoff Wheal, watch manager at Corringham Fire Station, said: "Clearly this is a very strange incident involving the man's dog, but it could still have been more serious.
"When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke.
“Firefighters ensured that the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area - but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn't be used to store food when they aren't in use.
"Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging.
“Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think - so please don't run the risk."