Dundee halt Hibs run

PA Sport
Kyle Benedictus opened the scoring for Dundee

View photo

Kyle Benedictus opened the scoring for Dundee

Kyle Benedictus set Dundee on their way to a fine 3-1 home win over high-flying Hibernian whose tenure at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League was brought to a spluttering end.

The victory lifted bottom-of-the-table Dundee to just a point behind St Mirren as Barry Smith's side continued their recent run of fine form against a side who began the day at the SPL summit.

Benedictus scored in the first half and his effort was followed by second-half goals from Steven Milne and Kevin McBride which meant Leigh Griffiths' injury-time strike was nothing more than a consolation.

The hosts threatened first when they almost punished some slack defending after 11 minutes. McBride's long ball forward caused confusion between visiting goalkeeper Ben Williams and defender Paul Hanlon as Milne attempted to pounce. Milne got between the two Hibernian pair but could only watch in frustration as he stabbed the ball wide.

But after 20 minutes Benedictus broke the deadlock in style with a spectacular strike from 20 yards. Jim McAlister's corner was only half-cleared by defender Lewis Stevenson and defender Benedictus turned neatly to send an unstoppable effort from his weaker left foot into the top corner past the helpless Williams.

That gave Dundee a massive lift although they were up in arms after 41 minutes when Milne appeared to have been brought down by Tom Taiwo. Iain Davidson played a pass to the on-rushing Milne 12 yards from goal, and just as he was about to pull the trigger, Taiwo appeared to take the legs of the Dundee striker. Referee Brian Colvin rejected the penalty claims, much to the anger of the home support.

Then, on the stroke of half-time, Davidson was unmarked just yards from goal but headed wide from McAlister's inch-perfect cross and the chance to go 2-0 in front went begging.

But after 48 minutes Dundee increased their lead. Matthew Lockwood's inswinging free-kick was headed down by defender Declan Gallagher and Milne was on hand as he reacted first to prod the ball home from point-blank range.

And after 51 minutes they killed the contest by making it 3-0. Former Hibernian hitman Colin Nish was brought down by Alan Maybury as they both chased Gallagher's through-ball. This time Colvin pointed straight to the spot and midfielder McBride stepped up to send the penalty past Williams who had no chance, to send Dens Park wild with delight.

Dundee attacked the visitors' goal towards the end, looking for a fourth goal, and not even Griffiths' late 25-yard strike could spoil their day.

View comments (1)