Jason Roy will remain sidelined when England meet Australia in the Cricket World Cup on Tuesday.
Opener Roy will miss a third successive game for the tournament hosts, despite telling BBC Radio's Test Match Special on Friday that he was on course to return against the holders at Lord's.
The 28-year-old was able to bat in the nets on Monday having missed the 150-run victory over Afghanistan and the defeat to Sri Lanka at Headingley on Friday with a hamstring injury.
Roy had been in fine form with the bat prior to his injury, scoring 153 in his most recent innings against Bangladesh in Cardiff.
England have eight points from their six games played, but have to face all of the current top three sides – Australia, India and New Zealand – in their final group fixtures.
James Vince has deputised for Roy, making a combined 40 in two innings against Afghanistan and Sri Lanka.
England captain Eoin Morgan said there was "positive news" on a scan Roy had on Monday, but would not say whether he would feature against India at Edgbaston on Sunday.
"He won't be fit for tomorrow," Morgan said at his news conference.
"We'll monitor his progress during the week and assess him then as that unfolds.
"I think to put one game on it, I don't think it's sensible. I think let's just see how it goes."
Roy's likely replacement Vince has passed 50 just once in 10 ODI innings, yet Morgan insists the team's belief in him has not wavered.
"We've every faith in him to go on and get a score at some stage," he added. "To continue playing in his own way, it's important that he does that."
Featured from our writers