A decision will be made at the end of the week whether England’s Ashes tour can go ahead following lengthy talks over the weekend.
There have been doubts over the tour in light of the Covid protocols and question marks over whether the players’ families will be allowed to travel with them.
The England and Wales Cricket Board laid out the conditions for the tour to both players and management over the weekend.
They said that dialogue would be ongoing before an official call is made over the Test series, which is due to begin on December 8.
In a statement today, the ECB said: “We remain in regular and positive dialogue with Cricket Australia over these arrangements as the picture is constantly evolving. With health and wellbeing at the forefront, our focus is to ensure the tour can go ahead with conditions for players and management to perform to their best.
“We will continue talking to our players this week to share the latest information and seek feedback. Later this week, the ECB board will meet to decide whether the conditions in place are sufficient for the tour to go ahead and enable the selection of a squad befitting a series of this is signifance.”
Some England players are already considering potentially pulling out of the tour because of potential restrictions regarding their families.
England captain Joe Root said he was desperate for the series to go ahead but raised his own concerns about bubble fatigue amid an initial lack of clarity over the Covid protocols.
In response, Australian captain Tim Paine sent a defiant tone. He said: “The Ashes are going ahead. The first test is on December 8 whether Joe is there or not.”