Exclusive: David Moyes given more time to respond to FA following Greg Clarke criticism

Luke Edwards
David Moyes is under increasing pressure  - PA

David Moyes has been angered by criticism from Football Association chairman Greg Clarke over his abusive comments to a female reporter, which were made before he had a chance to respond to the governing body’s request for his version of events.

Moyes was recorded verbally attacking BBC journalist Vicki Clarke at the end of an interview in the aftermath of Sunderland’s goalless draw against Burnley last month in which he warned she might “get a slap” in the future.

Although Moyes swiftly apologised to Ms Clarke and accepts his comments were totally unacceptable, he does not feel the head of the FA should have offered his view in public ahead of any future disciplinary proceedings.

Sunderland and Moyes have been granted more time to respond to the FA’s request for his observations and Telegraph Sport understands the Scot will express his concern about Clark’s comments when he finally does submit his written account of events.

The former Everton and Manchester United manager was contacted by the FA on Monday after the video of the row had been leaked on Sunday night, with Clarke then responding to questions about the incident on Tuesday.

“It was regrettable, it was distasteful and I think it showed a complete lack of respect,” said Clarke, who was speaking at a UEFA congress in Helsinki. “And we in the game stand for respect.”

When asked if it was sexist, Clarke added: "It could have been interpreted as such. I think it's doubly bad to use such a term to a woman because there is a lot of violence against women in society and terms like that aren't just disrespectful, I think they are bad examples. I regret that it happened and I'm sure that David Moyes regrets that it happened."

Sunderland are adamant they will not sack Moyes and the Scot does not believe he should resign in the wake of sexism and bullying accusations.

Moyes had already apologised to both Ms Sparks and the BBC when the footage was leaked to the media. He had also informed Sunderland chief executive Martin Bain and owner Ellis Short immediately after the row to express his regret.

Premier League manager safety index

“I deeply regret what I’ve done,” Moyes said at the start of the week. “It was the heat of the moment. The business we’re in, sometimes you only have seconds to think and answer. So, you know, it was the wrong thing to do. I have said that I regret it. I profoundly regret what I said…

Moyes has been badly stung by the episode and is also facing growing opposition on Wearside to the fact Short has already informed him he will remain in charge of the team, even if they are relegated.

Sunderland are ten points adrift of safety and take on Moyes’ former club, Manchester United, on Sunday.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes