The transfer interest in Manchester United attacker Marcus Rashford this summer has been set straight by one reliable transfer source.
The England striker was on the radar of a few clubs this summer according to a number of reports. Those stories though have well and truly been consigned to history after Rashford kick-started his season with a double on Sunday against Arsenal.
The 24-year-old had bagged what proved to be the winner against Liverpool last month, but he announced he means business this season with some razor-sharp finishing in the 3-1 win over the Gunners.
The England man now has three goals and two assists from six Premier League games and any rumours of an exit have disappeared.
Rashford is under contract until 2023, but the club hold a one-year extension option on that deal. And that will undoubtedly be activated by the club unless the parties agree a new contract.
Rashford has been with United since the age of seven and agreed a new contract in July 2019. The Wythenshawe-born striker managed to get a full pre-season under his belt for the first time since 2019. And that has made a huge difference to the player, who said he was “ready and focused” under new boss Erik ten Hag.
New contract talks will surely by at the top of Ten Hag’s in tray at Old Trafford. Ten Hag has put a lot of faith in Rashford, selecting to use the speedy forward instead of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Man Utd relaxed
But Rashford’s future did not look assured in the summer.
Paris Saint-Germain and Spurs were believed to be interested in taking the striker. But while PSG’s interest has been confirmed, the talk of a move to Spurs was well wide of the mark.
Fabrizio Romano told Caught Offside: “Despite some claims to the contrary, Tottenham have never approached Rashford this summer. PSG have always had an interest in the player, but there has never been an official offer.
“Rashford’s current contract expires in 2023, but Man United are relaxed because they have an option to extend the contract for another year until 2024, so more on that later.”
A number of outlets in France, including L’Equipe, stated that PSG wanted to sign Rashford. A new forward was on the agenda of PSG boss Christophe Galtier. And ESPN journalist Julien Laurens and Sky’s Kaveh Solhekol claimed Rashford was open to a new challenge.
Rashford will have eyes on World Cup
A move never materialised though, in fact PSG never made a formal offer. Instead Galtier landed Hugo Ekitike on loan with an option to buy from Stade de Reims.
Spurs though were never in the running, despite Italian super-agent Roberto De Fanti claiming otherwise.
De Fanti, who represents Spurs defender Japhet Tanganga, claimed Rashford’s advisors had spoken with Tottenham over a sensational move.
Rashford’s camp though were not approached and their focus now will be a new contract for the United No.10. The axed England man will also have one eye on regaining his place in Gareth Southgate’s squad for the World Cup.
Rashford has 46 caps, but was dropped from the squad by Southgate in March. In fact he has not appeared for the Three Lions since his one-minute cameo role in the European Championship final defeat to Italy. He went on to miss a penalty in the 4-3 shootout loss.
The article Fabrizio Romano sets record straight over Marcus Rashford transfer talk, says Prem suitor talk was false appeared first on Teamtalk.com.