Scottish Premier League - Match abandoned as floodlights fail three times

The lights went out in the first Highland derby of the season between Ross County and Inverness Caledonian Thistle at Global Energy Stadium.

PA Sport
Scottish Premier League - Match abandoned as floodlights fail three times

View photo

2010 CRICKET Floodlights general

There was floodlight failure at half-time and after a half-hour wait the lights failed to come on again, leaving match official John Beaton with no option but to abandon the match at 0-0.

After the first failure, ground staff managed to get the power restored - only for it to fail again a few seconds later.

Half-time was extended giving the hosts another chance to restore light, which they managed to do - only for a third failure a few minutes later, at which point the decision was made to call things off.

Beaton said: "That's the first time I've abandoned a match, certainly at this level.

"The lights have obviously gone off and we've given it as long as we can.

"The first two occasions the lights went on immediately and then the third time it looked as if they were going to stay on. That was the last chance.

"The police had said if they (the lights) went again they couldn't really leave it any longer. Unfortunately that's been the case."

Beaton continued: "There were discussions with the police and there was an SPFL delegate at the match as well.

"The County officials were all involved as well. Ultimately it's the referee's decision and we came to an agreement that third time around we couldn't leave it any longer. Everyone understands that."

Caley Thistle boss Terry Butcher said: "We're disappointed because we were doing okay in the first half.

"After the first 10 minutes I thought we dominated the game without really creating chances or having a decent final ball.

"I was looking forward to a good second half. The team talk was about doing the same and getting in behind them if we could and just being more ruthless in the final third."

County manager Derek Adams felt his side had the upper hand before the lights went out.

He said: "I'm disappointed. I thought we had a good opportunity to win the match. I thought we did well enough in the first half."

Adams also believed the visitors should have been down to nine men by the break.

He explained: "There were a couple of sending-offs in the first half.

"(Ross) Draper was a straight elbow and (Gary) Warren was a really bad tackle on Melvin De Leeuw. They were both shocking challenges.

"The advantage was with us and I thought we were going to go on and win the match. It was frustrating for everyone involved."

View comments (7)