The 25-year-old Everton midfielder has not played for his country since instigating a self-imposed exile in the wake of a disappointing Euro 2012 but assistant manager Marco Tardelli has revealed Giovanni Trapattoni had contacted Gibson on Monday morning following David Meyler's withdrawal from the squad for Wednesday night's friendly against Poland with a knee injury.
He said: "This morning, Meyler told us that he was going back home and we spoke with Darron and he told us that he has played just one match and he would prefer to stay at home because he is not available. He has a little problem after the match. I think Darron wanted to come here with us. The next match, maybe yes."
Tardelli continued: "He said, 'I have a little problem'. He is not available for this match. He was in Malaga because there is a little training camp with Everton.
"It's no problem to come for another match."
Asked if Gibson would be considered for selection for the trip to Sweden on March 22 and the home clash with Austria four days later, Tardelli said: "Yes, why not?
"Always when we need a player and the player wants to come with the Irish team, we are very happy.
"I don't understand why this problem exists. It's not my problem, it's not Gibson's problem."
Gibson was named in the squad for the Republic's first qualifier of the current campaign in Kazakhstan in September last year, but withdrew after telling Trapattoni the disappointment of what happened in Poland during the summer, and in particular his lack of a role in it, was still having an effect on him.
There has been dialogue between the two parties since with the 73-year-old Italian identifying the former Manchester United player as one of the men he felt could give his team a different focus in the immediate aftermath of the Euros.
- Sports & Recreation
- Marco Tardelli
- Giovanni Trapattoni
- David Meyler