Football - We got what we deserved - Davis

Crewe boss Steve Davis felt Crewe were good value for the three points they secured from a hard-earned 1-0 win over Bristol City.

PA Sport Report

The game looked destined to end goalless until Byron Moore was fouled in the penalty area by Scott Wagstaff deep into second-half injury time.

The tricky winger, who had already had Alex's best chance of the game, stepped up and sent City goalkeeper Elliot Parish the wrong way with a thumping spot kick into the roof of the net.

Davis said: "I've seen him miss penalties on occasions as well!

"The crowd were starting to leave the ground, so we ended up with a lot of bodies down that bottom end.

"Moore dealt with that really well. It's not easy when it's nearly the very last kick of the game and we knew it would be almost the last kick of the game.

"It's the big opportunity to snatch the three points. But I felt on the play and the chances we created and had that we deserved that.

"We've gone 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, whatever you want to dress it up as, and it just makes us a little bit more solid.

"The back four feel secure, they feel as if they've got someone in there who can intercept and defend for them with Abdul in front of them.

"And the four that worked with that gives us that extra midfield player to pick up second balls.

"It was going to be one of those sorts of games. Both teams needed the win and it was a tense game."

Crewe could have had the game sewn up by half-time if they had taken their chances.

A scrappy opening failed to create any openings, but midway through the first half the game sprung into life as Alex created a hatful of chances.

The first fell to Ollie Turton, who burst into the box before seeing a powerful shot saved by City goalkeeper Parish.

Moments later the visitors should have taken the lead with their first chance of the match.

But after pouncing on a heavy touch, former Arsenal man Jay Emmanuel-Thomas could only find the side netting with only the keeper to beat.

Lee Molyneux then called Parish into action again as his shot was saved after some twisting and turning inside the box, before the City keeper produced a stunning save fromMoore, tipping a rasping volley on to the woodwork.

After the break, it was again a story of missed chances, as Molyneux and Turton, along with Chuks Aneke, failed to test the keeper with efforts from in and around the box.

But deep into second-half injury time Moore was fouled in the box and he dusted himself down before firing Crewe to their second successive victory.

View comments (1)