Football - Mancini moves on from Balotelli incident

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini claims he does not always forgive controversial striker Mario Balotelli for his misdemeanours - but says his latest one was "nothing".

PA Sport

Mancini is prepared to give Balotelli "another 100 chances" after playing down this week's confrontation between the pair on the training ground. Mancini was photographed grappling with his fellow Italian in a training-ground bust-up, the latest in a long line of controversies involving the 22-year-old forward.

The manager insists the matter was soon over and was blown out of proportion because of the player involved and the pictures made the incident look bad. Mancini said: "I don't always forgive him. Sometimes he was out for three or four weeks. I hope he can understand. Yesterday was nothing, compared to what he did other times. It is finished."

The latest headline-grabbing Balotelli moment came just over a fortnight after he dropped his challenge to a Premier League tribunal over a club fine at the 11th hour.

There had been speculation since then that Balotelli, who has not played since December 9 due first to selection decisions and then a virus, could be sold during this month's transfer window. That has been dismissed by Mancini, who remains determined to coax the best out of his former Inter Milan protege.

He said: "I will give him another 100 chances, if it is possible, if I think he can change. I am here for this. Sometimes I am upset with him because he doesn't do everything for this, but I give him another chance, sure. This doesn't change anything, this is something that can happen."

Balotelli, who joined City for £24million from Inter in 2010, has previously clashed on the training ground with team-mates Micah Richards, Vincent Kompany and Jerome Boateng.

All were captured by photographers because City's Carrington training base is surrounded by public footpaths and the fences erected for privacy cannot be made higher due to planning regulations.

The latest flashpoint occurred when Balotelli made a bad tackle on Scott Sinclair in a training match and Mancini ordered him off. Mancini grabbed Balotelli after he refused to leave but incident was quickly dealt with.

Mancini said: "It (the tackle) was two red cards probably, if the referee was there. I wanted him to leave the pitch and Mario said, 'No, I don't want to leave'. But it is finished now. The problem we have on that pitch is that we don't have a screen. We are happy for the paparazzi to get money for this!"

View comments (0)
  • Hot Football Transfer Gossip: Willian, Ibrahimovic, Higuain

    Hot Football Transfer Gossip: Willian, Ibrahimovic, Higuain

    The Boss of Goss Kevin Darling has a massive Hot Football Transfer Gossip to sink your teeth in to today, as Jose Mourinho plots his transfer targets for Manchester United. More »

    Kevin Darling - 2 hours 13 minutes ago
  • Picture this: 6 positives Manchester United fans can take from this season

    Picture this: 6 positives Manchester United fans can take from this season

    As a whole, ​Manchester United haven't had what you could get away with describing as a 'good' season in 2015/16. But it's definitely still not all doom and gloom... More »

    18 hours ago
  • Premier League: Arsene Wenger’s top 5 transfer targets for Arsenal

    Premier League: Arsene Wenger’s top 5 transfer targets for Arsenal

    Alex Netherton has a look at Arsene Wenger's top five transfer targets for Arsenal's upcoming season. More »

    Alex Netherton - Wed, May 25, 2016 11:17 BST
  • Premier League: Mourinho's move to United stalls due to image rights

    Premier League: Mourinho's move to United stalls due to image rights

    ​Jose Mourinho's move to Manchester United is being held up due to complications over image rights, according to top sports lawyer Jake Cohen. More »

    90Min - 21 hours ago
  • La Liga Leaks: Bellerin to replace Alves, Cristiano wants to stay & Griezmann to Man Utd?

    La Liga Leaks: Bellerin to replace Alves, Cristiano wants to stay & Griezmann to Man Utd?

    Yesterday saw two breaking transfer stories involving the same clubs: Juventus and Barcelona.  You’d be mistaken for thinking it could be Paul Pogba and Paulo Dybala leaving Turin to play under the bright lights of the Camp Nou but, in fact, it’s Dani Alves and Javier Mascherano who look set to leave one double-winning side to join another. The move for Dani Alves looks pretty much sealed.  He signed a new deal just last summer after long and tense negotiations but had a clause inserted into it which meant he could leave on a free at the end of the first year: something he’s since activated.  One of the most successful footballers in Spain is set to join arguably the most successful side in Italy. The name at the top of the list, so say Mundo Deportivo, is Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin.  The youngster was at Barcelona between 2003 and 2011 before he left to join Arsene Wenger’s side at the age of 16.  His former coach at Barcelona even called the player to sound him out over a return as the two remain on great terms. More »

    Andrew Gaffney - 30 minutes ago