Football - St Mirren v Aberdeen

Aberdeen extended their unbeaten run under new manager Derek McInnes to four matches but their goalless draw at St Mirren Park was a largely forgettable way to mark the 30th anniversary of their greatest triumph.

PA Sport

Three decades ago to the day, Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen side beat Real Madrid in Gothenburg to win the European Cup Winners' Cup but the current team are proving less effective on their travels.

Aberdeen have still not won an away game in 2013 although they came closer to three points than their hosts with Jonny Hayes seeing a goal disallowed and Marc McAusland clearing off the line from Scott Vernon. And they looked secure at the back despite the continued absence of Russell Anderson, claiming their third clean sheet under McInnes.

It took 17 minutes for either side to come close. Vernon curled just over the top corner from 18 yards after some excellent close control from Ryan Jack.

St Mirren threatened moments later when Jamie Langfield pushed over Dougie Imrie's dipping, swerving 30-yard free-kick.

Mark Reynolds did well to head clear as Sam Parkin looked set to finish off a cross from Conor Newton, who soon forced a save from Langfield with a 20-yard drive.

The best chance of the half fell to Joe Shaughnessy when Niall McGinn's corner found him eight yards out but the Aberdeen right-back's downward header was stopped by Saints goalkeeper Craig Samson.

Aberdeen created the best chance of the game just after the break. Vernon had seen a turn and shot saved before Jonny Hayes set him up three yards out with a cross to the back post. The English striker looked certain to nod home but Marc McAusland got his head in the way to divert the effort wide.

Ryan Jack volleyed wide from another decent chance after Vernon's lay-off and Aberdeen had the ball in the net in the 69th minute.

Vernon held up a long ball and laid it off to the onrushing McGinn, who helped the ball on to Hayes. The Irishman tucked the ball into the far corner from 14 yards but the assistant referee had his flag raised and it looked the correct decision despite protests from the visitors.

View comments (0)