Football - Well battle back for victory

Motherwell produced a fantastic second-half comeback to defeat 10-man Hibernian 3-2 in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League match at Easter Road.


Eoin Doyle headed the hosts ahead five minutes before half-time and doubled his tally nine minutes after the break when he raced onto Paul Cairney's high ball and rocketed past Darren Randolph.

Jamie Murphy tapped in from close range to cut the hosts' lead and he glanced home a leveller with 10 minutes remaining. Hibs looked shell-shocked after losing a commanding lead and things got worse for Pat Fenlon's side when substitute Robert McHugh converted Henrik Ojamaa's cross two minutes from time. James McPake was then dismissed for a second yellow card.

The hosts made a bright start and only a well timed block from Tom Hateley denied Paul Cairney from breaking the deadlock in the opening minute.

Leigh Griffiths forced Randolph into his first save of the match with a low effort from distance and Ben Williams was called into action at the other end when he had to gather Alan Maybury's header.

Hibs broke the deadlock five minutes before the break when David Wotherspoon twisted away from Steven Hammell before providing a pin-point delivery for Doyle to nod home from close range.

In throwing men forward Stuart McCall's side left themselves liable on the counter-attack and they were punished on 54 minutes when Cairney's through-ball created an opening for Doyle and the Irish striker finished in style for his second goal of the afternoon.

The Fir Park side continued to look for a way back into the match and they reduced the deficit when Chris Humphrey drilled the ball low across the six-yard box and Murphy was left with a simple tap-in.

Fenlon looked to tighten up his defence with the introduction of Ross Caldwell for Doyle, but the home side were unable to hold their lead as Michael Higdon knocked on Hateley's dangerous corner and Murphy glanced the ball home at the back post.

McHugh made no mistake when presented with an opportunity with two minutes remaining as he turned Ojamaa's cross across the helpless Williams and into the bottom corner. McPake was then dismissed with seconds remaining for a second yellow card following a tussle with Murphy.

View comments (0)