Championship - Yeovil earn point despite three red cards and own goal

Yeovil Town had three players sent off and scored an own goal but still managed to escape with a 1-1 draw at Reading after a bizarre second half in the Championship clash on Saturday.

Championship - Yeovil earn point despite three red cards and own goal

View photo

Yeovil Town's players huddle together

There were farcical scenes at the Madejski Stadium as the visitors, who led 1-0 at halftime, finished with eight men having levelled the scores by putting the ball in their own net.

Relegation-threatened Yeovil had taken a surprise 20th minute lead against playoff hopefuls Reading through Shane Duffy but the match changed in the 65th minute when Town defender Byron Webster was shown a red card for a foul in the area.

Adam Le Fondre missed the resulting penalty but Yeovil gave the hosts an equaliser when Tom Lawrence sliced a clearance into his own net in a goalmouth scramble in the 69th minute.

Yeovil's implosion wasn't finished there and soon after the own goal they had Joe Ralls sent off for a bad challenge.

Kieffer Moore was then dismissed for a second yellow card three minutes from time but the eight men held out to salvage a point that lifted them off the foot of the table on goal difference while Reading dropped out of the playoff places.

Yeovil manager Gary Johnson refused to criticise the trio of anything more than naivety.

"I've no complaints on the day. The sendings off were not for viciousness," Johnson said.

"The first [Webster] was just misjudgement and the second and third were two young lads who were a bit overzealous in the tackle. If you do that, you're going to get a red card.

"It's a lesson learnt for all three of them. They put their team in trouble but they didn't mean to. It was more a question of mis-timing.

"With only eight players, I was very proud the way we defended. There is a passion among all the players and they want to do all they can to keep Yeovil Town in the Championship. We'd like to stay there as long as we can and if we survive, it will be the club's biggest ever achievement."

Reading manager Nigel Adkins, by contrast, could scarcely believe what he'd witnessed - from either side.

"We started the game very well but yet again conceded a poor goal and gave our opponents something to cling on to," he said.

"Then we just started lumping the ball forward. When they were down to eight, we got in a lot of crosses and created a lot of chances.

"We only got one point, when we should have had three, but credit to Yeovil. We've got to pick ourselves up and go again. We're still in the mix."

View comments (1)