Former Liverpool keeper tears FSG to shreds for four-year transfer failure that has absolutely crippled Klopp
A former Liverpool goalkeeper has pointed a big finger at Fenway Sports Group for what he sees as a major transfer failure that has been a big factor in their struggles so far this season.
The Reds have been a shadow of their former selves this season, letting slip their own high standards. Indeed, they have not finished lower than third since 2017/18, ending a 30-year wait to become champions of England in 2020.
During Klopp’s reign, the Reds have also reached three Champions League finals, winning the trophy in 2019. All told, this has been a golden era for the Merseysiders under Klopp.
However, this season has seen something of quite a dramatic fall from grace. And while they are currently sixth in the Premier League, they face quite a battle to reach next season’s Champions League. Indeed, there is currently a four or five team fight heating up to finish fourth.
Adding to Liverpool’s woes has been their miserable form in cup competitions. Normally a strong hand for them, they all-too-easily let slip their hold of the FA Cup and Carabao Cups they won last year.
Now also out of Europe too, they crashed out of the Champions League following a 1-0 loss on the night at Real Madrid. That helped earned the reigning champions a painful 6-2 aggregate win over the Reds.
Reasons for Liverpool’s collapse has been the subject of plenty of thoughts and theories. However, one of the more popular themes is their failure to sign a quality new midfielder last season.
And while Arthur Melo signed on a season’s loan from Juventus, that move has proved nothing short of a major failure.
READ MORE: Disastrous Liverpool signing crossed off suitor’s wishlist after recent approach, with move ‘totally’ ruled out
FSG failure to sign new midfielder blamed for Liverpool struggles
To illustrate Liverpool’s weakness in the area, they went into Wednesday’s match at the Bernabeu with a midfield two Fabinho and James Milner. And while Klopp went for broke with an ambitious front four, the engine room was little match against Luka Modric, Tono Kroos and Eduardo Camavinga.
As a result, former keeper Sander Westerveld insists he’s not shocked by their struggles.
And, pointing a big finger of blame at FSG, he told Marca exactly why they are struggling.
“Last year they won four trophies and only lacked the Champions League,” he said. “That may be the problem, they have played so many games and it may have cost them a lot of energy. The second reason is the injuries, not I remember a year with so many casualties.
“There were also new players, the forwards, who had to get used to Liverpool’s style. In addition, we must add that the owners haven’t bought a midfielder for four years, only Thiago.”
Reflecting on their tough season, he admits the 2022/23 campaign will be one for the Reds to forget.
“It’s a year that we have to forget. You never know with Liverpool, it’s a team that works miracles, but the goal is now to finish fourth.”
Liverpool now have close to a fortnight’s break with their game against Fulham postponed this weekend owing to the Cottagers’ FA Cup involvement.
Next up is an April 1 showdown against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. Following that, they travel to rejuvenated Chelsea before a match at Anfield against current league leaders Arsenal.
Liverpool will need to be at their best if they are to take anything from those matches and remain in top-four contention.
READ MORE: Romano confirms two Liverpool stars will follow Firmino out, with a third’s future hinging on Klopp
The article Former Liverpool keeper tears FSG to shreds for four-year transfer failure that has absolutely crippled Klopp appeared first on Teamtalk.com.