France’s Beleaguered Clermont-Ferrand Short Film Fest Could Get “Exceptional” Government Support Following Sudden Regional Funding Cut
French Culture Minister Rima Abdul Malak has said her ministry is looking at ways to resolve a funding crisis for France’s Clermont-Ferrand International Short Film Festival after its regional support was cut out of the blue earlier this month.
“We will have to do something because it’s impossible to fragilize this festival. We’re in discussion with the mayor of Clermont-Ferrand and the other partners and we’ll decide what we do,” she told an international press briefing in Cannes on Saturday.
More from Deadline
Ambient Light Takes North America Sales Rights For Sudanese Cannes Title 'Goodbye Julia'
Jodie Comer's Apocalyptic Thriller 'The End We Start From' Sells To Paramount's Republic Pictures In Mid Seven-Figure North America Deal -- Cannes Market
'Delhi Crime' Producer Apoorva Bakshi Boards Pakistan's First Miyazaki-Style Animated Feature, 'The Glassworker'
The event, the world’s biggest festival devoted to short films, unexpectedly had its funding slashed on May 12, after the regional council for the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region, in which Clermont-Ferrand is situated, voted to cut its funding by half to $121,000 (€111,000 euros).
Over the years, the festival has shown the early works of a raft of now-established, award-winning filmmakers including Cannes regulars Jane Campion, Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Mike Leigh, Abderrahmane Sissako, Olivier Assayas, Jessica Hausner, Vladimir Perisic, Keren Yadaya, Mati Diop, Léa Mysius and Ladj Ly
There have been suggestions that the cut was politically motivated with communist regional counsellor Boris Bouchet accusing the council’s president, the liberal-conservative politician Laurent Wauquiez, of using a “political guillotine” to hit events not aligned with his politics.
Wauquiez, a potential future presidential candidate, is known for his anti-welfare and anti-immigration policies and desire to cut back public spending in France.
Abdul Malak said the regional council’s sudden cut set a problematic precedent for France’s cultural funding model, mixing national and regional funds.
“We have contracts for three years with our partners, the government, the local authorities, and the festival or the institution,” she said “If one partner decides on their own to stop the support, or to cut it by half without informing the others, it’s not going to work.”
She added that her ministry would likely have to intervene in the case of Clermont-Ferrand, given its importance for the short film format and emerging filmmakers at home and worldwide.
“In this specific case, it’s impossible just to sit and wait and see what will happen. We need to do something. So we will find a way to support them, even if it’s exceptional support,” she said.
Best of Deadline
Cannes Film Festival Photos Day 6: Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Marion Cotillard & More
Deadline Studio at Cannes Film Festival 2023 - Day 3 - Cate Blanchett, Pedro Almodóvar, Ethan Hawke, Molly Manning Walker & More
Hollywood & Media Deaths In 2023: Photo Gallery & Obituaries
Sign up for Deadline's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.