The NBA Playoffs are in full swing and now there's even more reason to spend time playing "NBA 2K17."
Amazon Prime members (even those on a free 30-day trial) are being given $20 worth of in-game currency known as "VC" and a MyTeam pack for free.
Amazon owns the popular video game streaming website Twitch, and by connecting a Prime account to a Twitch account there are numerous benefits provided, including bonus in-game loot every month, ad-free viewing, and a free channel subscription. This marks the first time that a major sports game has been involved in the digital giveaways.
Prime subscribers receive 75,000 VC, which would normally cost $20. The MyTeam pack, which is used with the game's card-collecting mode, will contain a guaranteed "Sapphire" or "Moments" card, which are among the more rare and valuable types of cards available.
Here's how it works:
1) Have an active Amazon Prime membership, whether under a $99-per-year subscription or free 30-day trial.
2) Link the Amazon Prime account with Twitch account here.
3) While logged into Twitch, on the left side panel the code will be found under the "Free with Prime" area.
4) Enter the code (with dashes) through "Options/Features — Locker Codes" in "NBA 2K17's" menu or with the mobile app.
5) The VC should be applied to the account and card pack ready to be opened in MyTeam.
While this is a great promotion for Amazon Prime's Twitch features, which first rolled out last year, it's also an opportunity for "NBA 2K17" to keep current players invested in the game after seven months and draw in some new players who may end up spending money in the revenue-generating MyTeam mode. The free VC and card pack will be available to claim through May 22.
Bryan Wiedey posts sports gaming news and analysis daily at Pastapadre.com, is co-founder of the sports gaming site HitThePass.com, hosts the "Press Row Podcast" and be reached on Twitter @Pastapadre.