Gers dumped out of Ramsdens Cup

PA Sport
Dean Shiels was one of two Rangers players to miss a spot-kick in the shoot-out

View photo

Dean Shiels was one of two Rangers players to miss a spot-kick in the shoot-out

Rangers crashed out of the Ramsdens Cup at the hands of Queen of the South following a dramatic penalty shoot-out after both sides were reduced to 10 men.

The tie was still deadlocked at 2-2 after extra-time but it was Queens who eventually came out on top 4-3 in the shoot-out. The Dumfries side took the lead through Nicky Clark, before Barrie McKay levelled for Rangers and substitute Kevin Kyle saw red. Lee McCulloch netted a penalty and Willie Gibson was also sent off, before Gavin Reilly's goal forced extra-time.

The Palmerston outfit came out on top when Dean Shiels and Anestis Argyriou both failed to covert when the tie went to penalties and Ryan McGuffie claimed the decisive goal in the shoot-out.

Queens looked up for having a go and carved out the best two chances of the opening spell. Neil Alexander was called into action to save well from a well-struck Chris Mitchell drive. The goalkeeper then had to react quickly again moments later, this time to tip just over the crossbar from Daniel Carmichael as the visitors continued to push for the opener.

The half-time whistle was met by jeers from the home crowd and the second half was four minutes old when Queen of the South surged into the lead. Gibson was the provider with a cross from the left which found Clark and he sent a powerful downward header past the grasp of Alexander and into the back of the net.

Rangers hauled themselves level through McKay after 55 minutes. The Queens defence failed to deal with a corner from Ian Black well enough and the ball broke for the teenager to rifle home from six yards.

Kyle picked up a yellow card just five minutes after coming off the bench and he was then shown a red card by referee Stevie O'Reilly with 67 minutes on the clock for a challenge on McGuffie.

Despite being down to 10 men, Rangers took the lead after 71 minutes when the referee pointed to the penalty spot after McCulloch was fouled by Chris Higgins in the box. The skipper brushed himself off to take the spot-kick and sent the keeper the wrong way to leave the net bulging.

Queens rattled the woodwork late on when Mark Durnan's header cracked off the post, before Gibson picked up a second yellow card with a couple of minutes of the regulation 90 remaining for a foul on Kal Naismith. Just when Rangers thought they had held on for the win, Reilly netted deep into injury time and the goal was allowed to stand despite offside claims.

Alexander then blocked to prevent Queens the winner in the final minute of extra-time with Daniel Orsi through on goal, sending the game to penalties.

View comments (5)