Golf - UPDATE 1-Golf-Play finally starts at weather-hit Kapalua

* Fowler hits first shot of 2013 PGA Tour


* Play starts after delay of two days, four hours (Updates with start of tournament)

Jan 6 (Reuters) - The 2013 PGA Tour finally got under way at the season-opening Hyundai Tournament of Champions in Hawaii on Sunday after a delay of two days and four hours because of strong gusting winds.

American Rickie Fowler struck the first shot in the re-scheduled opening round when he teed off at the par-four first, though there was every chance of further suspensions in play as high winds continued to batter the Kapalua Resort.

Fellow American Matt Kuchar, who hit the first shot on the 10th hole, had a lengthy conversation with rules officials after his golf ball was blown off his tee before he eventually set off.

"It's a little better ... very little," Slugger White, the PGA Tour's vice president of rules and competition, told reporters about Sunday afternoon's weather conditions on the Hawaiian island of Maui.

"But we're going to try to go. If we have to stop we have to stop. We'll talk to the players and let them know we might have some balls moving out here, but we'll just have to deal with it."

Englishman Ian Poulter, Kuchar's playing partner, had earlier told Golf Channel: "This is going to be crazy golf. You've just got to suck it up."

Plans to play 36 holes on Sunday were effectively dashed when the re-start of the opening round was pushed back four hours as winds continued to gust well above 40mph (64.4 kph) across the Plantation Course.

The PGA Tour's season-opening event has already been cut to 54 holes because of unplayable conditions over the first two days and officials have not ruled out a possible Tuesday finish.

"Tuesday is not out of the realm as yet," said White. "Fifty-four holes is what we are trying to finish.

"I think you can determine a champion with 54 holes with no problem whatsoever; 36, I don't think so."

While 24 players in the elite, winners-only field of 30 were able to tee off on Friday before the first-round scores were wiped out, not a single shot was struck on Saturday because of unplayable conditions.

U.S. Open champion Webb Simpson had been the early leader in Friday's aborted round, moving to three under par after just seven holes before the players were summoned off the course.

Swede Jonas Blixt was at one under after five holes, a stroke in front of compatriot Carl Pettersson (after one hole) and Americans Kyle Stanley (four), Ryan Moore (three), Johnson Wagner (two) and Scott Piercy (one). (Reporting by Mark Lamport-Stokes in Los Angeles; Editing by Ed Osmond)

View comments (0)