Gennady Golovkin has dismissed a potential bout between unbeaten boxing legend Floyd Mayweather Jr and UFC star Conor McGregor as nothing more than a "commercial show".
Mayweather and McGregor – the first man to hold two titles in different divisions at the same time in UFC – have been involved in an ill-tempered back and forth online and in the media.
As yet, a fight to get the two to settle their differences in the ring has failed to materialise, although Mayweather recently stated that he is out of retirement to face McGregor, while UFC president Dana White said that he expects the rivals to face off.
However, many experts have questioned the validity of such a contest, with Oscar de la Hoya telling Omnisport last month that the fight would be an "embarrassment" for boxing.
Golovkin, who is preparing for to defend his three world middleweight titles against Daniel Jacobs at Madison Square Garden on Monday, also has doubts and believes the bout would be purely for financial reasons.
"For me this is a show, a big programme show, a commercial show," he told Omnisport.
"I don't know what it is. If you want to watch a real boxing fight please watch Madison Square Garden, March 18."
On whether he thought the fight would be embarrassing for boxing, he replied: "Absolutely, right now it's a different situation for everybody."
Golovkin was also asked whether he would rather be considered for a showdown with Mayweather over McGregor, to which he answered: "I'm not thinking [about Mayweather]. This is trash talking, it's not serious."