Heineken Cup: Wilkinson shines as Toulon beat Blues

Round-up: Jonny Wilkinson kicked 17 points as Toulon made it two wins from two in Pool Six of the Heineken Cup with a bruising 22-14 win over Cardiff Blues at the Arms’ Park.

Heineken Cup: Wilkinson shines as Toulon beat Blues

View photo

Johnny Wilkinson (L) of Toulon is tackled by Tom James (C) and Josh Navidi (R) of Cardiff Blues during their European Rugby Cup match played at Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff, Wales on October 21,2012. AFP

The Blues, playing their first European game at their traditional home since 2009, made a superb start when Leigh Halfpenny went over for the opening try inside two minutes.

The Welsh side’s magnificent defence flustered the visitors, but their power eventually told.

Wilkinson kicked five penalties and converted man-of-the-match Steffon Armitage’s try while Halfpenny also booted three penalties for the Blues.

But the game’s major talking point involved Armitage’s brother Delon, who escaped without receiving a card for a high no-arms tackle on Blues’ centre Gavin Evans during the first half.

England international Toby Flood delivered a virtuoso display as Leicester kick-started their Heineken Cup campaign with a 39-22 victory over Ospreys at Welford Road.

Flood scored 24 of Tigers' points, including a decisive interception try nine minutes from time when he caught his opposite number Dan Biggar's speculative pass and raced 60 metres to score.

He also kicked five penalties and two conversions, with his fellow England internationals Manu Tuilagi (2) and Ben Youngs adding touchdowns as Leicester opened their account in Pool Two after last weekend's defeat in Toulouse.

It was rough luck on Biggar for conceding the Flood try, as he also made a high-class contribution with 17 points that included the conversion of flanker Ryan Jones's early try.

But Leicester secured an unlikely bonus point triumph with a blistering onslaught of 20 points in the last 18 minutes to leave the Ospreys shell-shocked.

The closing stages showcased Leicester at their finest, sensing an unlikely maximum points haul when they could have just settled for a hard-earned win.

Youngs inspired the late flourish by sprinting over for a try after Tigers' attackers made the most of a kind bounce.

And there was worse to come for the Ospreys with the last play of a gripping encounter when flanker Steve Mafi was held up short, but Tuilagi gathered possession and gleefully dived over to send a 20,000 crowd wild.

Ospreys head back to Wales without even a losing bonus from a game that saw them go hammer and tongs with their opponents for most of the contest.

Sale were rocked by three second-half tries as they slipped to their first defeat of the Heineken Cup in a 33-18 loss against Montpellier at a rain soaked Stade Yves du Manoir.

The Sharks had only trailed 12-8 at half-time, with Mark Cueto touching down for the only try, but they had no answer to the brilliance of Francois Trinh Duc in the second period.

The France fly-half scored his side's first try on 51 minutes before two moments of brilliance set up another two scores in a decisive 10-minute burst.

Trinh Duc twice deftly kicked over the Sharks line, the first allowing Timoci Nagusa to race over, before the outside half re-gathered his next kick and expertly spotted Julien Tomas to score.

That left Sale, who won a tense opener 34-33 against the Cardiff Blues, with too much to do over the final 20 minutes although Richie Vernon did grab a late consolation try.

Munster steamrollered Edinburgh with three tries in the final 10 minutes of their Heineken Cup tie as they returned to winning ways with a 33-0 triumph at Thomond Park.

A late forwards-led flurry saw Peter O'Mahony, Sean Dougall and Damien Varley all touch down as the hosts seized upon an unlikely bonus point.

With the injured Ronan O'Gara watching on from the stands, his deputy Ian Keatley landed two penalties from four attempts to give the hosts a 6-0 interval lead.

There was more for the home crowd to get their teeth into in the second half, with Conor Murray's 51st-minute try giving Rob Penney's side some breathing space.

Hammered 45-0 at home by Saracens in the opening round, Edinburgh allowed their heads to drop and Munster took advantage late on as they ended a run of three straight defeats.

View comments (1)