Honours even in hard-fought first league derby between Penrith and Carlisle City

It was the first meeting between the two Cumbrian clubs in the league
It was the first meeting between the two Cumbrian clubs in the league

Penrith 0 Carlisle City 0: The first ever league derby between the two Cumbrian clubs ended all square after a hard-fought contest.

The Northern League Division One game saw Darren Edmondson’s Penrith have the better of things against Jim Nichols’ Carlisle City.

But neither side could find the breakthrough at the Leo Group Stadium.

Penrith came closest when a James Best free-kick dipped against the City crossbar in the second half.

The skilful Alfie Brunskill was also a regular threat for the home side.

Penrith AFC v Carlisle City - Cumbrian derby as it happened

City forced some half-chances early in the second half through Callum Birdsall, Jordan Irving and Sam Atkinson.

But it was Penrith who will come away feeling they could easily have taken all three points.

City moved up to sixth in the table with Penrith still second-bottom.

Irving headed wide for City early on before the home side’s DJ Taylor saw a shot blocked.

Brunskill then saw a low attempt saved by City keeper Lewis Boyd, who is on a work experience loan from Carlisle United.

Irving shot across goal and wide for Nichols’ men, who were denied penalty claims when Birdsall went down in the box, before Brunskill, Adam Main and Jonny Murray tested City with further attempts during a strong spell of home pressure.

Penrith worked hard to keep the play in City’s half with Brunskill a regular threat down the left and Andy Murray-Jones putting in a solid display having been moved into defence by boss Edmondson.

Peter Allison was denied a City goal late in the first half when a header from a corner was cleared in front of the line, and immediately after the break the visitors had their best spell.

But Birdsall couldn’t beat Arran Taylor from a narrow angle with Irving denied by the home keeper, Arron Bradbury shooting off target and Atkinson seeing an effort go just over the bar.

Penrith then finished the game on the front foot with Brunskill shooting wide after beating two men, Boyd sending a free-kick dipping onto the top of the bar before, in added time, Brunskill cut in again and opted to shoot instead of squaring to sub Connor Shields, his effort deflecting behind.

Penrith: A Taylor, Best, Morrison (Prokas 71), Coombe, Hunter, Moynan, DJ Taylor (Shields 71), Main, Murray-Jones, Murray (Armstrong 81), Brunskill. Not used: Howarth, Ward.

City: Boyd, Kelly (Seggie 76), Bradbury (Studholme 90), Allison, Kirkup, Holt, Irving (Kerr 76), Simpson, Birdsall, Atkinson, Swailes (Ivison 61). Not used: Hartley.