Inverness dump Rangers out

PA Sport
Graeme Shinnie, left, scored the third goal as Inverness defeated Rangers

View photo

Graeme Shinnie, left, scored the third goal as Inverness defeated Rangers

Rangers crashed out of the Scottish Communities League Cup as Inverness booked their place in the semi-finals with a 3-0 victory.

Ally McCoist's men had come out on top against Clydesdale Bank Premier League opposition in the last round of the competition when they dumped then league leaders Motherwell.

But Caley Thistle proved to be too strong, with Andrew Shinnie, Gary Warren and Graeme Shinnie all on the scoresheet.

Rangers were out of the traps quickly and Dean Shiels sent an angled drive across the face of goal and just past the post as the home side pushed for an early opener. But Inverness also looked up for the tie and a full-stretch Neil Alexander just managed to gather from an Aaron Doran shot, before blocking low at the near post from Billy McKay.

Having survived the double scare, Rangers set about cranking up the pressure and Lewis Macleod forced a decent save from Antonio Reguero. The Inverness goalkeeper then did well to deny Andy Little's strike from 10 yards with an outstretched foot after fellow Northern Irishman Shiels teed up the effort.

For all the home side's pressure, it was Inverness who surged into the lead after 27 minutes through Andrew Shinnie. The former Rangers youngster pounced on a pass from Doran before rifling past the grasp of Alexander to hand the visitors the advantage.

At the other end, the home crowd screamed for a penalty when Shiels tumbled over Reguero in the box but there was no spot-kick from referee Steven McLean.

Hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow when the Highlanders doubled their lead after 59 minutes. Graeme Shinnie floated a corner into the box and the Gers defence failed to react as Warren was allowed a free header which he directed into the back of the net.

There was no way back for the Light Blues when the referee pointed to the penalty spot, ruling Anestis Argyriou had fouled Andrew Shinnie in the box.

Graeme Shinnie stepped up for the spot-kick and sent Alexander the wrong way after 78 minutes as Inverness booked their place in the last four.

View comments (4)