- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Tottenham Hotspur's transfer window hit a new low after they were rejected by Ollie Tanner, a 19-year-old winger who plays for non-league Lewes FC.
The north London club had struck a £100,000 deal in principle with Lewes, who play in the Isthmian League Premier Division, but could not agree personal terms with Tanner.
The failure to complete a move for the highly-rated teenager marks the latest setback in a disappointing transfer window so far for Antonio Conte’s side.
Brighton are also believed to have shown interest in Tanner but Lewes said in a statement that the 19-year-old will now remain their player.
“Lewes Football Club would like to confirm that whilst the club and a Premier League club agreed a deal in principle for the transfer of Ollie Tanner, Ollie and the Premier League club were not ultimately able to agree personal terms and he remains a Lewes FC player,” the club said in a statement.
Spurs have already been unable to complete deals for Adama Traore, who has instead joined Barcelona from Wolves, and for Porto winger Luis Diaz, who is heading to Liverpool after Jurgen Klopp’s side hijacked Tottenham’s move.
They had agreed to pay the five-figure fee to Lewes for Tanner, who was previously on the books of Arsenal and Charlton Athletic and would have played for the club’s under-23 side at first.
The pursuit of Tanner had already brought unwelcome headlines for Tottenham and the player after old tweets emerged of the winger mocking the club and Harry Kane on social media.
As reported by Telegraph Sport on Friday, Tottenham’s failure to complete deals for their primary targets has led to them hitting the panic button ahead of the final few days of the window.
Juventus forward Dejan Kulusevski has emerged as a target as Tottenham desperately try to provide Conte with the reinforcements he has demanded in this window. Kulusevski is a versatile forward who can play as a winger or as an attacking midfielder.
Conte has identified the need for a right wing-back, midfielder and attacker to be signed in January but Tottenham appear increasingly unlikely to strengthen the squad as the Italian had hoped.
They are working on a deal to sign Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat on loan, although his arrival alone will not be considered to be enough by Conte. Amrabat has started just one league game in Italy this season.
Bordeaux interested in loan move for Jones
Phil Jones is mulling over a loan move to Bordeaux for the remainder of the season.
United are open to letting Jones leave and believe some regular football would be a good move for the centre-half after two years out through injury.
Bordeaux would not have to pay a loan fee for Jones, who earns around £120,000 a week. Jones, 29, made his first appearance for United since January 2020 in the 1-0 home defeat to Wolves this month after battling a serious meniscus problem.
He will have a year left on his existing contract in the summer although United have an option until 2024.
Jones was signed by former manager Sir Alex Ferguson in 2011 and two years later, following the Scot’s final Premier League trophy with United, he claimed that the defender could become the club's “best-ever player”. But the former Blackburn captain did not kick on a Ferguson had hoped and may benefit from a spell away from Old Trafford.
France striker Anthony Martial and Ivory Coast winger Amad Diallo have already joined Sevilla and Rangers respectively on loan this month and now Jones and Donny van de Beek, a target for Everton, could follow them out of the door.
It comes as the brother of Jesse Lingard, whose own moves to leave United this month, has compared the forward’s plight to that of a prison sentence.
Lingard, 29, appears stranded after a move to Newcastle broke down over United’s demands for an extraordinary £16.5million loan fee And now his brother Louie Scott has hit out at United, who sanctioned a loan move to West Ham in the January window last year.
“A year ago today we was ‘allowed’ out on day release,” he wrote on social media with a picture of Lingard celebrating a goal for West Ham. “Now we know how Akon feel.”
Akon is an American rapper who spent four years behind bars. His song Locked Up includes the lyrics: “I’m locked up, they won’t let me out.”
Diallo made a goalscoring start to life in Scotland on Saturday, finding the net just five minutes into his debut for the Glasgow club, who drew 3-3 with Ross County.
Blow for Burnley as Orsic move collapses
Burnley have been dealt a blow after their move for Croatia forward Mislav Oršić collapsed at the final hurdle.
Clarets chairman Alan Pace flew to Zagreb to complete a £7 million deal for the 29 year-old but his club have announced he is staying for the rest of the season.
“The decision has been made that Mislav Oršić will remain a Dinamo player,” read a statement from Dinamo Zagreb. “We are looking forward to participating in the continuation of the season together with his teammates and contributing to achieving the goal of winning a new Croatian title.”
Oršić was Burnley’s primary target this week with a deal agreed in principle. Sources in Croatia are reporting the player had a change of heart about moving to Turf Moor.
Dinamo fans had been campaigning for Oršić to stay ahead of Sunday’s top-of-the-table clash against Rijeka.
Burnley are still negotiating a deal for £12m-rated Wolfsburg striker Wout Weghorst. However, it is understood there is work to be done on agreeing a fee and personal terms with the Holland international.
Welsh rivals battle for Wells
Swansea and Cardiff have both made loan enquiries about Nahki Wells this week.
Bristol City may allow the 31 year-old to leave for the rest of the season after only starting in the FA Cup since November.
He moved to Ashton Gate two years ago in the January window and has attracted interest over a short-term move after reaching double figures for goals last season.