- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Liverpool’s reported pursuit of Sporting Lisbon midfielder Matheus Nunes is ‘nonsense’, according to James Pearce.
On Thursday, Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha (as cited by Sport Witness) claimed that the Reds are ‘prioritising’ the signing of Nunes.
This was reported despite news that Liverpool have concluded their summer business after bringing in Darwin Nunez, Calvin Ramsay and Fabio Carvalho.
Speaking earlier this month, Klopp admitted that there is not any need for a new midfielder.
He said: “How I said, if nobody wants to leave – and no player came to me with that request yet and I don’t expect it really, to be honest – there is no need for a new midfielder.
“We cannot just add on midfielders. We respect the contracts with our boys as well, that means as long as we signed them they get all our support – in training, between the sessions, during the games and between the games.”
Nunes has also been linked with Manchester City, Chelsea and Wolves.
And amidst news that Liverpool have made a bid for the 23-year-old, The Athletic correspondent James Pearce has shut down these rumours.
Pearce told his Twitter followers on Friday afternoon that rumours of a bid are ‘nonsense’. He adds that there are ‘no plans’ to add another midfielder in the summer transfer window.
Meanwhile, former Arsenal player Paul Merson has claimed that Liverpool winger Luiz Diaz will find the 2022/23 campaign “harder” than his debut season in England.
Diaz joined from FC Porto in January and hit the ground running, becoming one of Jurgen Klopp’s favoured players in attack.
However, Merson believes rival teams are now more aware of the danger the Colombian possesses, meaning he will struggle to make a similar impact this season.
“Unlike last season, Luis Diaz is on the radar this time around,” he wrote for SportsKeeda. “When he first joined, team talks from opposition managers wouldn’t have really been about him, but now he’s quickly made the left wing his own and will find it harder to make an impact this season.
“He’s been a fantastic addition for Liverpool and should continue from where he left off last season.”
The article Journalist says Liverpool’s Nunes bid is ‘nonsense’; Diaz sent warning by pundit appeared first on Football365.com.