The German had previously appeared adamant that his side did not need reinforcements in the middle of the pitch despite missing the likes of Thiago Alcantara, Naby Keita, Curtis Jones and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain during an ongoing injury crisis.
However, Klopp has now conceded that such a stance was incorrect, with Liverpool looking for one more arrival before the window shuts next Thursday night (September 1) to add to the earlier summer signings of Darwin Nunez, Fabio Carvalho and Calvin Ramsay.
That need has been exacerbated by a disappointing start to the season that has left the Community Shield winners already playing major catch-up in the Premier League title race, with just two points and no wins from three matches to their name so far before Saturday’s visit of newly-promoted Bournemouth to Anfield.
“We are looking for it and if it is the right player we need him, and if it is not the right player we don’t need him,” Klopp told reporters on Friday.
"[Our need] changed, of course. I know we have had this discussion since it all started and I am the one who said we don’t need a midfielder, and you were all right and I was wrong. That’s the situation.
"But the specific point doesn’t change – we will do something but it has to be the right one."
While it remains to be seen exactly which midfielders are on Liverpool’s transfer shortlist with time running out before the looming deadline, the club have been heavily linked with the likes of Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham, Inter Milan’s Nicolo Barella and Brighton’s Moises Caicedo of late, as well as long-term Manchester United and Chelsea target Frenkie de Jong, at Barcelona.