King Charles III has been diagnosed with a form of cancer, Buckingham Palace announced on Monday.
In a statement, the Palace said the 75-year-old monarch “remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty soon.”
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Last month, it was announced that the King was hospitalized to have surgery for an enlarged prostate.
Officials have not said what type of cancer the King has — or at what stage — only that it is not prostate cancer and that it was discovered during his recent treatment. The King will begin receiving regular treatments.
According to a source, Charles personally informed his children and siblings of his condition.
Here is the full statement from the Palace: “During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer. His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual. The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible. His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
Charles ascended to the throne last year following the passing of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Britain’s longest-reigning monarch who died at the age of 96.
The news follows Kate Middleton, 42, also being hospitalized. On Jan. 17, the royal family revealed the Princess of Wales had undergone abdominal surgery. Middleton left the hospital after two weeks, and then returned home to Windsor to continue her recovery.
“The Princess of Wales appreciates the interest this statement will generate,” the Palace said at the time. “She hopes that the public will understand her desire to maintain as much normality for her children as possible; and her wish that her personal medical information remains private. Kensington Palace will, therefore, only provide updates on Her Royal Highness’ progress when there is significant new information to share.”
Best of The Hollywood Reporter